13 yd mzzl sight in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a good way to get on paper to start with a new gun or new sights, but tiny differences at that close range can cause a complete miss at longer range. 25, 50, or 75 would be a lot better IMO. With many popular rifles 25 is about right to get on paper. But I've often been good at 25 and had to adjust more than a bit at 100. Gets you on paper but sure wouldn't want to rely on it out there at longer ranges.

Also if it's a bit low at 100 you aren't taking advantage of the maximum point blank range concept--where you can just aim and fire at anything out to 150 or 200 and not have to worry about adjusting sights.

Last edited:
Caliber, velocity, and bullet weight will cause some variables. 13 yds should have you on paper at 100yds. You can verify from there.

Most of my centerfires are zeroed at 200yds. I use a ballistic calculator to input the velocity, barrel length, twist rate, bce of the bullet, etc...
I use the same process for my inline for 100yd zero.

This will tell me the poi for that gun at 50yds zeroed at 200. This allows me to do a 3 shot zero at 50yds. Then usually no more than 2 rounds at 200 to verify.

I recently rescoped one. I was able to set it for 1/4" left at 50yds in 2 shots. It was dead on at 200.

The same process applies. Just remember, there are lots of variables that could cause it to be off just a bit or a lot.

I’ve not heard of this ‘13 yard’ sight in procedure. Normally one starts close, then moves out some ensuring you will be ‘on paper’.

In just about any case, one really needs to shoot further out.

This is really going to be dependent on your sight height.

Here are some calculated trajectory numbers for an average muzzy load.

First with .5” (iron sights) sight height. The bullet poi is very close to the point of aim at close ranges. This says they technically coincide at 11-12 yards.

IMG_3266.jpeg

And with 1.5” (scope) sight height. Not even close at 13 yards.

IMG_3267.jpeg

FWIW, I think this is a gross, and I mean gross oversimplification of the old “25 yard” zero rule for smokeless rifles.

My experience has been that if you are shooting a scoped rifle with spitzers at a minimum of 2300 fps or so, if you are “on” at 50 yards (and I mean “on” - you aim for a 1” paster, and hit within the paster every shot) you are approx 1.5” or so high at 100 yds, and have an appropriate zero for most big game hunting in the Mid-Atlantic area where I live.

The problem with trying to apply this to muzzle loaders is that projectiles range from PRB (the shortest and poorest BC bullet known to man) and much longer bullets with BCs approaching those of jacketed bullets. PLUS there is the jacketed bullet with sabot dynamic, and a different velocity window with various propellants to include smokeless powder!

I know from shooting my Hawken with PRBs, I can vary my point of impact for 30-50 yard targets without touching the sights and varying the powder charge . . .

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying this is something folks should undertake to confirm for themselves with their rifles and loads, and not blindly accept the “internet lore”

It was a while back when we read Outdoor Life, and read what Jack O'Connor wrote. He wrote we should sight in our scope sighted .270 first time at 25 yard. Of course we did, and wouldn't you know, it worked with adjustments all the way out to 300 yard. He also wrote that we should sight in first time at 12 1/2 yard if our rifle had iron sights, and of course that worked. Naturally we knew one had to make adjustment for longer ranges. We were just kids, but boy oh boy could we see to shoot.

I never tried the 13 yard sight in but when I need to re-sight my 22-250 I zero it at 25 yards and it is zero again at 250 yard. It’s all about the trajectory curve

Back