1st deer trip on Saturday

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
My hunting partner finally got his weapons back :D ,from his ex with my help :lol: today. Everything is in order, so we'll hit the field on Saturday morning. Have one either sex white tail tag and 4 antlerless(doe) tags for mule deer. Hope to have( should have) a story and pictures on Saturday afternoon or evening 8) . Might be a little later. This weekend is Thanksgiving here in Canada and my wife is planning a Turkey dinner for Saturday. Son and his better half will be here and daughter and her better half are headed for her inlaws this year. Anyway, can hardly wait to finally get out and fill some tags.

Good luck! I know it will be great to get out there!

Rman. You bet.
Here it is, 5:10 am. Having my second cup of coffee and waiting for my hunting partner to arrive. Should be on our way in 1/2 hour. Should be a nice day. Right now it's +2 C. Forcast is for some cloud and a high of 15 C. Should be all done by the time it gets that warm. Going to use my new blind that I build this spring, sit in the new chair I bought , and hunt from a new location. If all works out as I expect will hang the deer in my new garage, from my new gambrel and lift it with my new winch. This all seems pretty new to me :D :D .

Just got back an hour ago. The morning started with more coffee :D at the 7-11. On the drive out saw some deer in the ditch not far from out hunting spot. In one group there was a very respectable mulie buck that crossed the fence in front of us. When we drove into the pasture we hunt a rabbit ran across in front of us. Got settled into my new blind while my partner drove off to another part of the pasture. 10 minutes before legal shooting time a big mulie doe and fawn came by. got within 40 yds and didn't know I was there. then I waited, and waited and waited and....you know waited :mad:. All this time I kept hearing mother nature calling, but I ignored her as long as I could :cool:. All that coffed don't you know. I figured that when I got out of the blind to answer her now yelling call a deer would come by. Lucked out, no deer to interupt a bodily function ;D.
50 minutes passed since I saw the first 2 and all of a sudden there was deer crossing, but by the time I saw it she stepped into the trees. Within seconds another deer crossed in the other direction. Too late again. A couple of minutes passed and here comes another deer. This time it's a real nice mulie buck. No buck tag, so had to watch :). He was being followed by a number of does and fawns but not offered a decent shot. Finally one turned broad side at 110 yds. She was knee deep in some sage brush and browsing on it. Put the cross hairs where I wanted them and squeezed. She jumped, trotted about 10 yds and collapsed. To my surprise a second deer came out of the trees. It was smaller and obviously a fawn, her fawn. It stood there and watched. I reloaded, which is quite a feat in the small confines of my blind. It offered me a standing broadside shot. Squeezed off numer 2 and it jumped ran about 20 yds away from me and down it went. Reloaded just in case and made my way down to my deer. When I got to the 2nd one there was another deer standing about 50 yds away and could have easily shot it but decided not to. Have to save a few tags for more trips ;). After I field dressed them and tagged them headed back to my blind to wait for my partner and the truck to return. On the way back there was another deer. Passed it too.
On the way home we got behind a cattle drive so took quite a while to get by, about 1/2 hour. Got home and the new winch in the new garage worked flawlessly. Both deer are skinned and cooling. Tomorrow will do a little butchering. I'm a little tired from the early morning and am going to relax, maybe have a drink :D . My son and his better half are coming over later. We're going to have an early thanksgiving dinner today.
All in all was a good day
I should have added that in both deer the 250 SST preformed perfectly. Bullet enter though the back fleshy part of the front leg, though the rib cage and exited the other side. Both holes were in identical places and both shattered the heart and hit lungs.

Congratulations RAF!!! Way to go... Got any pics???? Sounds like your season started off in the right direction :partyman:

Took a few of the scenery. Didn't bother with the does on the ground. Does aren't a big deal IMO. Took a couple in the garage skinning and after. Might post them tomorrow. Right now I'm beat and heading for bed. It's been a long day. :wink:

Just finished butchering the 2 deer and cleaning up. I downloaded some pictures and am posting them.

The first is of the spot where I shot the deer. You can see one laying Just past the line of trees. The 2nd one is 20 yds closer but a small hill hides it.

test21003.jpg

The second is my hunting partner who just can't wait to start skinning :p

test21004.jpg

The 3rd is the finished product hanging from my new winch and gambrel in my new garage with the unfishished walls :D .

test21007.jpg

RAF,

Congrats on the does, a fine start to the season. Looks like a great set up there in the garage also. :D

Good Hunting,
Al

Back