1st hog hunt--questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex Dr.

Reaction score
Hey Guys

i am doing a hog hunt in 2 weeks at a local ranch here in Michigan

I am torn between using my bow, my .44 pistol, my 20ga slug gun or my ML

for my 1st hog i want to make sure i get the job done and done right

The ML is a great shooting gun with my current set up
Omega .50, 100 grain triple 7 pellets, 295 gr aero tip powerbelts dead nutz 100 yards

im planning my shot under 50-60 yards (closer with bow or pistol)

is this bullet right for the job (it is a ranch and the hogs will be 200+ lbs)

my buddies are trying to talk me in to the bow, since they have never had a bow shot hog in their group

Im just not sure for my 1st hog

I know out to 40 with the bow im good no issues

just looking for advice, drawback is in the short time span no time to work and sight in new ML load

I'll vote for the muzzleloader and bow. I don't like powerbelt bullets but I would think it will work. From the research I've done on those bullets, you shouldn't push them too hard (100 grains of powder or less), especially the lighter 245 gr., or they will come apart and not penetrate properly.

I never shot a hog with a powerbelt. BUT I have seen posts of where powerbelts shine and where they fail. That is a tough question. I would GUESS that if you do not shoot for bone/shoulder but instead tuck that behind the shoulder into the vital organs you should be fine. You have a pistol as a back up.

The bow would be a lot of fun to shoot a hog with. Like I said, its a hard choice. I am sure it will boil down to getting out of the vehicle and suddenly a light will come on and you will say.. I am going to use.....

Good luck. We like well written accounts of the hunt and pictures are a must...

:wink:

First off good luck on your hunt :!:
I've taken hawgs with bow and ML'er. Shots with the bow were under 25 yards and the the Ml'er shot was about 45/50 yards. I used a powerbelt 295 grain hollow point and 100 grs of JSG. Pass thru no problem. Hawg ran 30 yards or so and laid down. He went to hawg heaven within minutes. A hawgs heart is located at the elbow of the hawgs leg. Don't think of it as shooting a deer and put your shot behind that shoulder. Follow that leg up and as soon as you see the elbow your at the heart.
turkeyandtuskers2010018.jpg
turkeyandtuskers2010022.jpg
turkeyandtuskers2010024.jpg

Middle pic is the heart. powerbelt took out lower part of the heart and the pic on right shows that I just skinned his leg at the elbow and got my heart shot.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! (Where are you going in MI.) :?:

thanks guys for the advise

I think im gonna use the bow for the morning sit (may carry mL to the blind) and i will carry the ML for the stalking if i dont shoot one 1st

hawgslayer--awesome pics thx a million

we are going to nugents place near jackson

we have 5 guys going 2 bow hunting, 1 pistol, 1 shot gun and my self

:D :)

Good luck to you and your group :!: :!: :!: Hope to see many pics when you get back :!: :!: :!:

i will post pics and stories

as of now

my uncle is shooting his bow unless its real real cold and windy
my dad is using his slug gun

im still torn but leaning towards my ML

one buddy is using an open sighted 44

and the last guy is bowhunting for sure

the 1st 3 it will be our 1st hog hunt

Rolex Dr.how are you doing with my ML rear stock ???? may i suggest the BARNES MZ EXPANDER ...250gr ..i use the BARNES copper bullets and they are awsome ..would like to see what they do to a hog ..we don't have hogs up my way but we have lots of black bears ..pic below is of the 2 barnes that i shot and recovered ..[1] expander mz..[2] spit-fire tmz which is boat-tailed and not quite as accurate at 100 yds ..in my T/C ENCORE ..

Hi Black Powder

well i shot the gun exactly 5 times to check zero after mounting your stock on it

i then gave the gun to my brother as a gift (it has a 20 ga slug barrel)

his 1st shot was at a corn stock at abt 75 yards (from a tree no less) and we never saw it hit so the next shot from same spot at same cornstalk was dead nuts and cut it in 2

next evening he hammered his 1st whitetail buck at abt 60yard, great shot

the next evening he dropped a big 4 yr old doe at less then 20 yards and had to shoot her a second time (as he told me she came running from across a big field right at him and he never turned the scope down and shot high, so after she fell he adjusted and shot her again)

this summmer i plan on playing with my ML and bullets but the damn powerbelts shoot so good i hate to mess with them

the only deer my omega has missed was a buck at 150+ and it was using a different bullet (cuz i was dumb and thiught i should try with out sighting in)

glad to see it worked for you also if the powerbelts shoot so good don't change a winning combo .."don't fix it if it ain,t broken ..we did not get a lot of snow this year 14" on the ground at this date ..so deer hunting should be good ..i also booked a deer hunting trip to ANTICOSTI island the 24 of october 2011 ..with my group for 5 day's of solid hunting ..

below something for you to dream about ..pic taken jan. 2011

Hog Hunting

My first hog hunt was in S. Al on a huge club next to the Tombigbee River. I saw deer tracks across muddy roads, with hog tracks across roads and Alligator tracks across muddy roads! First kill was early AM in a green field, big rain storm then after lunch a new bunch of red pigs came to the same field. A solid 308 shot from an HK91 @ 100+ yds w/ Fed 150 JSPs didn't put the 180+ sow down, guide killed her with 45 100 yds away. Cleaning the hog yeilded 8 piglets, a blown liver and heart/lung damage!. BTW-she ate great!

Back