1x Scope for a Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry in SD

Reaction score
Hi guys. New guy here posting a question for a friend.

My friend lives in Minnesota and is a Muzzleloader FANATTIC. However he is getting older each year and is having problems with open sights. In Minnesota with an order from his Doctor he can get a specail permit to use a 1x Optical Sight (Scope) on his Muzzleloader.

First off no he does not want a Red Dot Electronic Sight and insists on a Riflescope. I looking at what is available he has basically found 3 Riflescopes that are a true 1x, a Nikon Buckmaster. a Thompson Center and a Sightron S1.

My friend is wanting to know of the 3 1x Scopes listed which one is the better of the 3?

He is a died in the wool Leupold fanattic but Leupold does not make a straight 1x Riflescope. He has had several bad experiences with Nikon over the years, all with Nikon Variable Riflescopes. Are the Nikon Buckmaster Riflescopes any more durable than the regular variable Nikon Riflescopes?

In short any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Larry... just recently Wisconsin changed the laws and allowed scope to be put on rifles that had magnification. Before that the only legal ones were 1x scopes. So I have a Nikon 1x20mm, A T/C Hawkens 1x32mm, and two Traditons 1x32mm. Of the three, I was able to fog up the Thompson Center. I sent it in and they sent me a new scope. The Nikon is a great scope. Gathers lots of light, and is very clear. But of the scope.. the most expensive. I think I paid near $169.00 for the Nikon. The T/C sells for near $100.00 and is a good clear scope and a great aiming device. The Traditions 1x32mm were around $50.00 and before you haw them, they have took a lot of beatings and never flinched. They held true shooting large conical bullets under them. They never fogged. And work real good.

Of the ones you mentioned.. go with the Nikon. Even though it is a smaller bell, these are not for speed shooting. The Nikon will let you see clear, even in low light, and place the cross hair where you want it. The rest is up to your load development. If your not sure of what one to purchase, I would suggest the Traditions. For the money, I have been real pleased with them.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to print out your reply and give it to my friend.

Thanks again

Larry

Larry in SD said:
Hi guys. New guy here posting a question for a friend.

My friend lives in Minnesota and is a Muzzleloader FANATTIC. However he is getting older each year and is having problems with open sights. In Minnesota with an order from his Doctor he can get a specail permit to use a 1x Optical Sight (Scope) on his Muzzleloader.

First off no he does not want a Red Dot Electronic Sight and insists on a Riflescope. I looking at what is available he has basically found 3 Riflescopes that are a true 1x, a Nikon Buckmaster. a Thompson Center and a Sightron S1.

My friend is wanting to know of the 3 1x Scopes listed which one is the better of the 3?

He is a died in the wool Leupold fanattic but Leupold does not make a straight 1x Riflescope. He has had several bad experiences with Nikon over the years, all with Nikon Variable Riflescopes. Are the Nikon Buckmaster Riflescopes any more durable than the regular variable Nikon Riflescopes?

In short any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry
Dollar for dollar its hard to be Nikon.

Ive been dying to try one of these out.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/product ... m-reticle/

How does MN MZL law read? Before WI change their law it read something like "optical scopes with magnification are not allowed". Many assumed that meant that scopes were not allowed which was not the case. 1x scopes were always legal, at least since I've been MZL hunting. Maybe MN reads the same(?). I know that I sold my 1x scope to a guy in MN when WI changed their law, so.....?

I sold my Nikon but still have the 2 Thompson Centers and 2 Traditions scopes. Both of them ... for a 1x scope work real good. Its amazing to me how much better that simple cross hair made me shoot.

I've had excellent results with sightron scopes in general.

and by "scope", I am thinking specifically of a holographic sight, vs. a "scope" with a tube.

I have two RED DOTS here at the house. Sitting on a shelf. I tried them on different rifles. I think one might be mounted on a revolver I have around here. But there is no way one of them is going back on a hunting rifle. Now granted they were not high dollar scopes.

I did mount one on my Sig Sauer 522 tactical rifle. Now that was fun ON THE RANGE on a sunny day doing combat style shooting. It made a nice little sight platform. But for over all accuracy, I still go to a tube scope and let that be my guide.

I had that RED DOT on a Wolverine one afternoon. A nice fat doe walked in just before legal shooting hours ended. I put the RED DOT on her and she all but disappeared in the poor magnification and shadows that RED DOT creates. There was no way I was going to take the shot. Had I left it off, with the fiber optic sights.. that would have been a dead deer.

cayuga said:
...Had I left it off, with the fiber optic sights.. that would have been a dead deer.

I have to say, I love f/o sights also for low light. Learning how to shoot a three-dot f/o is easier than most others because all three dots are "lit up" and you sort of naturally line up round points vs. rectangles and notches.

cayuga said:
I have two RED DOTS here at the house. Sitting on a shelf. I tried them on different rifles. I think one might be mounted on a revolver I have around here. But there is no way one of them is going back on a hunting rifle. Now granted they were not high dollar scopes.

I did mount one on my Sig Sauer 522 tactical rifle. Now that was fun ON THE RANGE on a sunny day doing combat style shooting. It made a nice little sight platform. But for over all accuracy, I still go to a tube scope and let that be my guide.

I had that RED DOT on a Wolverine one afternoon. A nice fat doe walked in just before legal shooting hours ended. I put the RED DOT on her and she all but disappeared in the poor magnification and shadows that RED DOT creates. There was no way I was going to take the shot. Had I left it off, with the fiber optic sights.. that would have been a dead deer.

What he said. Red dots are a pile.

Latest posts

Back