(2) 10 oz. containers of Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Watching an auction again and picked up two containers (unopened) of Blackhorn 209 powder. Im in a good place with shooting supplies but you all think a lot of this powder so I bought it to give it a try. About $55.00 with taxs, fees, etc for the two. I think it is a reasonably good buy so if I don't like it one of you Michiganders will get it.

That auction has been good to me. :D

I gotta check out more auction sights... it’s hard to find here and $$$ when you do

I’m shorta worried there may not be anymore bh209 after triple 8 comes out... the triple 8 I’ve used out of some nitro fire stick was giving me 75-100fps more the the equivalent bo209. Triple 8 seems dirtier though.

I’m shorta worried there may not be anymore bh209 after triple 8 comes out... the triple 8 I’ve used out of some nitro fire stick was giving me 75-100fps more the the equivalent bo209. Triple 8 seems dirtier though.
That would really stink.... I’ve got a mini stock pile and the Montana extreme cleaning solution for BH209

That would really stink.... I’ve got a mini stock pile and the Montana extreme cleaning solution for BH209
You’d need it for the T8 - it’s kinda same smokeless formula and requires the same cleaner.

When the Nitro Fire came out I contacted Hodgdon & they said there would be no loose T8 released....now that they own BH209 I guess we will see

Greg

Did a quick search to see what was available online before checking out the local shops for BH209 and ran across this one...EC6BE2EA-D0B9-4895-86B8-DD1CAC2C7E59.jpeg
Holy smokes! Don’t need to restock that badly yet. Lol

WOW, prices are really going up. I just inquired about a container of 200 RWS Musket Caps and with tax, it comes out to $28 and some change. I think if I remember correctly it was about $20-$22 a few months ago?? :mad:

Last edited:
Wow. It's been awhile since I have stopped by here. After reading this thread, and the one started a few weeks ago about 209. I might have to take a trip to the local WM soon.

When the Nitro Fire came out I contacted Hodgdon & they said there would be no loose T8 released....now that they own BH209 I guess we will see

Greg
Hmm weird I was told it would be coming for the 2021 to 2022 season due to a contract with federal.

First.
If any of you had to go out in the back yard and stir up some saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfer in order to enjoy your hobby you would do it. Whatever happens you will adapt and use the available powder and have a pile of fun doing it. Don't sweat it.
Second
As long as there is a profitable market someone somewhere will make a product to fill the need. Don't you think???.

First.
If any of you had to go out in the back yard and stir up some saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfer in order to enjoy your hobby you would do it. Whatever happens you will adapt and use the available powder and have a pile of fun doing it. Don't sweat it.
Second
As long as there is a profitable market someone somewhere will make a product to fill the need. Don't you think???.
True facts.

Hmm weird I was told it would be coming for the 2021 to 2022 season due to a contract with federal.

as I said, we will see. In my mind it doesn’t really make any sense for them to make T8 and Blackhorn 209 unless they plan on shutting shut Blackhorn down. Right now they own entire muzzleloading market outside of true black powder
In my opinion, It’s all going to depend on what their marketing strategy is

Greg

In my opinion, It’s all going to depend on what their marketing strategy is
Their strategy is to make money. (prices will go up) If the prices get too high some of us will go back to true black. Or some guy sitting on this forum says to himself, HHmmmmm, maybe I should check into producing black powder substitutes.

Or maybe the lot of us could put up some money, do the legal work, hire a chemist, and start heading down that road.
:D

If you read Federal's FAQs about the Firestick is says that its NOT cleaned with water based solvents. Sounds to me like Hodgdon was already either using BH209 under wraps and just calling it 888 or they are using a smokeless propellant in them. States that banned smokeless but allow BH209 would surely have issues with that.

The new Hodgdon Triple Eight is not designed for water-based clean-up. Using a cleaning solvent provides an effective and efficient job cleaning.

If you read Federal's FAQs about the Firestick is says that its NOT cleaned with water based solvents. Sounds to me like Hodgdon was already either using BH209 under wraps and just calling it 888 or they are using a smokeless propellant in them. States that banned smokeless but allow BH209 would surely have issues with that.
You’re correct but it’s definitely not 209- it’s about 50-100fps more energetic at the same weight charges and it’s actually dirtier then 209bh too. Also let’s be honestly 209 Bh is just a 1 gen style smokeless itself.

Latest posts

Back