200 gr 40 cal Hornady

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Question out of my old CVA optima 45 this has become quite accurate since I changed to FFG 777 from Triple F . With a 90 gr charge does anybody see this bullet either not expanding or conversely blowing up on a non shoulder hit . Guys that shoot this do you find the wind drift is less or more than the 45 version ?

Question out of my old CVA optima 45 this has become quite accurate since I changed to FFG 777 from Triple F . With a 90 gr charge does anybody see this bullet either not expanding or conversely blowing up on a non shoulder hit . Guys that shoot this do you find the wind drift is less or more than the 45 version ?
I only shoot the sst from my shot gun, less than 100yds so no appreciable wind drift. I shoot the 200 .40 xtp from several MLs to 200 sometimes. The only wind drift i see, is where the sabots land. If shooting farther than 200 i would be shooting a different bullet, probably. Something like a Northern Precision with a pointy hard tip.

I've shot several deer at ranges from 25 to about 60 yards with the 200 grain, .40 XTP with a sabot using a BH209 charge at 63 grains weighed. That charge is roughly the same as 90 of the T7 granular. All have been in-out. Some shoulder and ribs have been hit on a couple and I haven't had one go totally ballistic in terms of terminal performance, but the exit is almost always 2 to 2-1/2". I think the MV is somewhere in the 2000 fps area.

Shot a deer with the .40 cal 200 XTP, doing 1900 fps ( chrono'd) and was very pleased. Nailed the shoulder ball at 12 yards. Blew it to bitty shards, got a rib and went through her chest like a blender. Didn't exit, and couldn't find it in the goo...
All she did was retract the landing gear and drop.

I shot 3 deer with the 200 grain sst out of a 50 cal. I did not get any penetration with them. When skinning the deer there were lead shards that indicated the bullet just blew up. I switched to 250 grain TEZ and couldn't be happier. The TEZ is not an option for a 45 unfortunately. I Shoot a 275 grain Parker Ballistic Extreme in my 45 cal and I have been ecstatic with the performance. I would consider going bullet to bore.

My humble opinion is the .40/.10mm handgun bullets being pushed over 2000-2200 at under 75 yards is asking for trouble Shooting deer & hogs. Even at that velocity may get you trouble. I have kept mine under 2000
True....
Now, if it's hard cast pistol bullet, different story.

I shot 3 deer with the 200 grain sst out of a 50 cal. I did not get any penetration with them. When skinning the deer there were lead shards that indicated the bullet just blew up. I switched to 250 grain TEZ and couldn't be happier. The TEZ is not an option for a 45 unfortunately. I Shoot a 275 grain Parker Ballistic Extreme in my 45 cal and I have been ecstatic with the performance. I would consider going bullet to bore.
Not to be an 🕳?
Why wouldn't the 250 TEZ be an option? Other than maybe getting it to "swell up" in the bore with BH209 or subs. Size it to bore, put a wad under it, try it.

Not to be an 🕳?
Why wouldn't the 250 TEZ be an option? Other than maybe getting it to "swell up" in the bore with BH209 or subs. Size it to bore, put a wad under it, try it.
I was thinking the swell up would be hard. I suppose it could be a possibility. I found them to be undersized and had the knurl them in my smokeless. I didn't have much luck with them but that is not saying its impossible I guess.

The biggest both in antler and body buck I ever shot was with a .401 (10MM) XTP 200 gr bullet. Shot from my Renegade from about 70 yards. My load as I recall was 70 gr of Pyrodex P and the buck only went 50 or so yards with a double lung hit and pass through. That deer easily went 200+ lbs.

My humble opinion is the .40/.10mm handgun bullets being pushed over 2000-2200 at under 75 yards is asking for trouble Shooting deer & hogs. Even at that velocity may get you trouble. I have kept mine under 2000

Like LBA, I shoot them on paper with the .45 Patriot using smokeless. They're a very accurate 100 yard bullet and a lot less expensive than the Fury or Barnes I actually hunt with. The deer I've taken with them were taken using a .45 Kodiak and under 50 yard shots. I don't think the velocity was over 2000fps and I had zero issue on any of the deer with gernading. Since they're relatively cheap, I still favor them at the bench.

I only remember one time my 200 gr XTP did an grenade on/in a deer. I shot a Doe with my .45 & that bullet & sabot at est. 20 yeads. Shot her on the breast bone. She made to the bottom of my tree stand. Lungs were soup when i field dressed her. Used 31 gr of 4759, but the bullet did not blow up on the outside. It did an excellent job on the deer's vitals !

I shot smaller buck coming up a steep hillside right at me. When he raised his head a bit to shot and hit him right in that little sunken area under the neck and the bullet came out right behind the breast plate. Chunks of heart and lungs were spread behind him for twenty feet. At the impact he mule kicked so hard both lower hind legs broke off just under each knee. Never seen a sight like that ever. The chest cavity of that deer was as slick and clean as anything I have ever seen That bullet never touched a bone and exited at about 2". I nipped some shoulder bone with one on the way in and a rib on the way out and that exit was about 2-1/2".

With the Patriot, going smokeless, the only deer I have collected was done so using a 195 grain Barnes Expander. I was hoping to punch one with a 225 grain Star Tip but the occasion never came about. Maybe this fall's season. The Expanders and Star tips shoot better than the XTPs so the XTPs see the paper.

My experience with Hornady 200 gr bullets of .40 caliber. Consists of the XTP/SW/SST, i have killed i think a dz. deer & 3 yotes. All died & all fell with in sight after the shot. Not all had an exit, but about 70% did, no shots were over 85 yards. Will i use them to hunt with ? Just showed 15 shots & 15 kills, i think they do their end of the job asked of them. Never have shot one over 1900 fps

Back