200 gr Shockwaves - Love them or Hate them

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteurrys

Reaction score
I shot some 200 gr Shockwaves will the new Harvester 50/40 CrushRib Sabots out of my Knight DISC yesterday. This is the most accurate combination I have found for this muzzleloader to date and I have been shooting it for 6 years. I was shooting both 115 gr and 120 gr charges of Blackhorn using Federal 209A primers to ignite the charge. The three shot groups were between 1" to 1 3/4" at 100 yards. I did some shooting at a 15" X 15" target at 300 yards for grins and was hitting it. :D The question is have is how well to they actually work on deer? The plan would be to shot them behind the shoulder. Let me know your experiences good and bad.

I too am hoping the perform as well on deer as they do on paper. Most accurate bullet I've shot in my Elite so far. I would rather shoot a 250 or 300gr SST but I just can't get them to shoot anywhere near as well as the 200gr SW.

I would like to try them on deer,but our state regs. say's .44cal. or larger! They do shoot well,and flat too. Ron

I have shot deer with them at 60 and 115 yards using 100 grains BM'3, none made it further than a 60 yard death run. I did shoot one (115 yds) through both front shoulders, the bullet was just under the hide on the off side, went about 50 yards and piled up within sight. There was no blood trail going through the shoulders, but wasn't needed in this case. The 60 yard shot was perfectly placed right behind the front shoulder and out the other side, this was a double blood trail wider than a sidewalk. A blind man could have found that one.

This is what was left of the bullet that went through both shoulders, IIRC it weighed 130 or 135 grains, about 65% - 67% weight retention after going through bone on both sides. The core did seperate from the jacket when I was washing it up later, but it had already done it's job by that point. :wink: No bad experiences to report.

046.jpg

045.jpg

They have done an excellat job on deer and boar for me. Lee

I have been using them for several seasons in my 45. ranges have been from 25 to 170 yds. this bullet hase perfomed as advertised every time. None of the shots were in to heavy bone, shoulder ect, All have passed through.I like it

Most of my group of T/C shooters hunt with the 200 gr shock-wave. We all have shot enough deer with the 200 gr. shock-wave combined "NOT" to look for an alternate bullet choice.

Most are DRT...dead right there.

chocdog

I just shot these out of my new Optima Elite this past Sat. The gun loved it with 90gr of Shockey's. I know the powder is garbage but I already bought it. First goup at 100yds after sight in at 50 was 1 1/4". That was also just shooting off my pack, no bench vise. I tried 100gr powder, but it didn't like that. Next time I get back to the range I will try some sub bases with 100 & 110gr and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I will be making the switch to the 200 gr Shockwave as everyone is very positive about this bullet. Deer season starts here in four weeks. Hopefully I can do some actual testing on game with this bullet for myself this coming season.

jsteurrys said:
Thanks for all the input. It looks like I will be making the switch to the 200 gr Shockwave as everyone is very positive about this bullet. Deer season starts here in four weeks. Hopefully I can do some actual testing on game with this bullet for myself this coming season.

Plan to do the same thing next week during PA's early muzzleloader season.

They were really hard to load in my Optima Elite as the session went on. I was even spit patching after every shot. I am having a hard time finding an easier loading .50 x .40 sabot. Does anyone know where to find some or if they exist? I don't see a .50 x .40 Crushrib anywhere.

marshall9779
Sub bases are only helpful with extreme loads [as far as I know] I have tried them with regular loads and they did not improve any thing. Lee

Lee 9 said:
marshall9779
Sub bases are only helpful with extreme loads [as far as I know] I have tried them with regular loads and they did not improve any thing. Lee

I got them in case I needed them, so I figure I would give them a try. I will post results when I do. I just might have to order the crushribs for these though, and I think I may start buying the Hornady SST .45 x .40 200gr as they are much cheaper.

Back