240xtp vs 300xtp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakesdad

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been brought up before.I am currently shooting 240 gr XTP out of my disc extreme with 100 gr pyro pellets.getting 2 1/4" groups at 100 yds.I have shot 3 deer with this load and 2 required a second shot.I didnt make any bad shots all were behind the shoulder.The deer that required 2 were at close range,one at 18 yds,the other at 23 yds.My question is,would I be better off using the heavier 300 gr for penetration purposes.I'm wondering if the 240 didnt self destuct on impact at the close ranges.i want to stay with the xtps because of accuracy and cost.By the way the 240s did penetrate at close range and did damage,just wondering how well(or not how well) they held together.Seems like they may of fell apart,because I had no exit holes,and would sort of expect one at that range.thank you for your input!

The closer the shot, the higher the impact velocity.
The higher the impact velocity, the more likely a bullet will self destruct.

Had that shot been at 80 yards, the bullet would likely have held together and exited with a behind the sholder shot.

I'm a fan of 300 grain Speer Gold Bonds, myself.

Jakesdad

My personal app. I think that the XTP are made for lower Volocitys about like shooting a Power belt , You get pushing them to fast and they just blow up . IF you are wanting to stay with the XTP go to the 240 or 300 gr Mag. They are alot tougher bullet.

I also have a DISC EXTREME I personally shoot a 290 gr Spitfie TMZ by Barns I can shoot a 3/4 to 1.25" groups at 100 yds useing 95 gr of loose 777 2fg I also shoot a 300 gr SPEER GOLD DOT ot of this gun with 1" to 1.75 " groups at 100 yds over the same powder , after season I want to try some 250 gr G D to see if they shoot as good as the 300 gr. I shot a nice Doe opening day of our gun season at 90 yds with the TMZ it was a bang flop with a complete pass threw the EXIT hole was the size of a TENNIS BALL , YA they cost more but well worth the Extra $$$ I don't use them for plinking I get it sighted in just before season with the TMZ and use them threw hunting season only. If I just want to go shoot some I will use the G D or something else. the way I see it is you have spent alot of money on every thing else why cut corners on your bullets when it may mean taking home a nice buck or looseing a nice buck.
You can buy the G D in bulk for $ 16.00 per 50 bullets alot of places.I just think that there is alot of better bullets out there.
( JUST MY OPPINTION )

Ron G.

I just switched from the XTP to the Speer GD this year. I lost one too many at close range that should have dropped. While looking for another bullet, I found that the XTP is not bonded and the Speer GD is. I've shot 2 deer with a 270gr FN Speer GD and 130gr 777 pellets this year (40yds and 80yds). One took 5 steps and then a nose dive and the other dropped, got up, took 3 steps, and was down for good.

I've considered trying the Shockwave or SST, but I've never been crazy about ballistic tips for some reason. They defanitely are a good bullet, but I'd rather shoot what I'm comfortable with.

When you purchase the 300 gold dots in bulk,what sabots do you use?

Bannerbird-

Any idea what kind of velocity you are getting out of that load?

The 270gr. gold dots seem to be an excellent compromise between the 250 and 300gr. varieties.

Jakesdad

I buy my 300 gr ( 454 Casual ) .452 From Midsouth shooters supply
www.midsouthshooters.com
1-800-272-3000
50 pc BOX $ 16.09
50 pc BOX of 250 gr ( .452 colt ) $ 13.14

You can buy the MMP 24 or the E-Z load 3 ped. directly from MMP

or you can add from mid south the H P black sabot $ 6.84
and You could try the CRUSHED RIB SABOT BY HARVESTER MID S.
$ 5.11 per 50 pcs

I have gotten great and very fast service from them I useually have my order in 3 DAYs.

Ron G.

What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the speer gd?any load suggestions to get me started.Also,you guys that use/have used the xtp's,did you have good penetration/expansion at farther distances,and what distance is "to close"(as far as performance) do you think?Hope I'm not askin to much here,lots of good info to learn from you guys tho.

I get 1" to 1.75 " groups at 100 yds with the 300 gr G D over 95 gr
of 777 2fg . Mite be able to tighten groups up a little if I experiment with
hotter charges am going to do this after the season also am going to try the 250 gr to see how they shoot also but I preffer the hevyer bullets But how knows.

RON G>

300GD80GWT7FFG.jpg

Note: The load is 80 grains weight which is equal to a little over 100 grains volume.

Zugunruhe,

I don't know what velocity I'm getting exactly. I don't have a chrono and ballistics aren't posted for the 270gr or 130gr 777 pellets. But I'm guessing based on 240gr and 300gr ballistics with 100gr and 150gr pellets, that I'm between 1850 and 1900 fps. I also wanted something between 240 and 300gr and I wanted to stay with a 44cal bullet. This is the only bulk bullet I could find that fits the bill.

I've only used them for this year, but I've taken 2 deer (40 and 80 yds)with this load and my Dad has taken one (100yds). All the deer had exit holes I could put my finger through with little blood shock. None of the deer went over 20yds.

On paper, I was getting sub 1 inch groups at 100yds, swabbing between shots. I use a TC Encore. I hope this load works for you. I'm impressed so far.

jakesdad,

My experience with the 240gr 44cal XTP was good, as long as the shots were over 40-50 yds. Any closer and the bullet would fragment greatly with no exit.

I shoot the Hornady .430 240gr xtp in a green crush ribbed sabot over 90gr t7 2f. Roughly 1800fps
2 does this year, 30 yards in a tree stand, 40 yards on the ground. Both broad side. Both pass throughs. 2 very dead deer.
I think the key is to not push any bullet outside the parameters that it is designed for.

I have used both the 240 gr XTPs and the 300 grain version. I have taken deer with both. With the 240 grain I killed two deer. Both were about 35 - 40 yds fired from a knight bighorn with 80 gr of FFg Goex. These were the first xtps I had tried and got quite good accuracy using a harvester crushrib sabot. Both deer shot were complete pass throughs without evidence of disintegration. The first deer ran over 100 yds without much blood due to a high lung hit the deer bled into the body cavity. The other deer ran about 30 yds with a very heavy blood trail.

I then tried the 300 grainers with the same sabot and powder load and got great accuracy. So far I have killed 2 deer and my son one deer. On all three the bullet did its job. I recovered 1 bullet from a doe I shot quartering to at about 20 yds. The bullet clipped off a rib on entry traveled through 1 lung went through the intestines and exited the opposite side flank then entering the lower off side rear leg. When recovered it had a perfect mushroom. Weighed 295 gr and had expanded from 45 cal to 64 cal at the mushroom.

My son shot a doe at about 60 yds through both lungs with the same load as mine the doe went about 30 yds and died. His shot was a pass through too.

I am happy with these bullets and as long as I don't try to drive them too hard feel they will do the job I expect.

I shoot the 300 grain 44 Cal XTP from my T/C Triumph with 100 grains equiv. loose ffg T7. Haven't had time to chrono this load yet but I'll guess 1800-1900 FPS range. Very accurate load at any rate.

I killed several deer with this bullet from a 44 Mag carbine and it does the job impressively. With it's greater weight & SD, I prefer it over the 240 grain XTP...

Back