243 Weatherby Vanguard

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a Weatherby Vanguard 243 In like new condition at a very good price finally got to the FFL to pick it up after getting the rifle home I opened the hard case it was in and to my amazement along with the rifle was mounts and a 5x20x44 tasco scope not the newer one but the one made in Japan years ago These sope go good money

Some of the old Made In Japan Tasco scopes were really good scopes. IIRC some were made at LOW but sometime along the line the changed to another Japanese factory that was not as good.

Got a Weatherby Vanguard 243 In like new condition at a very good price finally got to the FFL to pick it up after getting the rifle home I opened the hard case it was in and to my amazement along with the rifle was mounts and a 5x20x44 tasco scope not the newer one but the one made in Japan years ago These sope go good money
You got what You paid for as I listed it. Hope you are pleased with your purchase. Regards Dennis

Vanguards shoot very well out of the box. They used to put a test target in with a new gun. Usually 3 shots within an inch at 100 yards. I have one in 270 win.

.243 win is my cartridge of choice for deer and varmints. 85 grain+ premium bullets for deer and any light weight accurate bullet for varmints.

.243 win is my cartridge of choice for deer and varmints. 85 grain+ premium bullets for deer and any light weight accurate bullet for varmints.
for as long
I used a 100 grain bullet for Deer and a 85 grain for varmints I have hunted with a 243 for as long as I could remember I recently had my old 243 Remington 700 redone Had the action trued had a brux 1-8 twist barrel timney trigger and a hogue full aluminum bedded stock

Attachments

• Rem. Custon 243.JPG
    Rem. Custon 243.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 17
I had other hunters tell me I would be sorry someday for using a 243 win for deer. Used it probably 30 times in Wyoming. 100 grain Partitions. Never a problem.

I had other hunters tell me I would be sorry someday for using a 243 win for deer. Used it probably 30 times in Wyoming. 100 grain Partitions. Never a problem.
100 grn nosler partition is a good one for me also. Started shooting deer with em out of a Remington model Seven with a 2x7x32 luepold vxII when I was a youngin and its still knocking em down today. Nice shooter. The hornady superformance does a number on things also...

Started out with 788 Remington in 243, and shot nothing but factory 85-100 grain ammo,killed a bunch of Virginia deer ,most ricky- tic. Finally found a left handed 110j in 243 and have used that since, haven't found a bullet yet it doesn't like have taking a couple of nice blackies with it,very hard to beat,my old 06 just sits in the safe now a days

Growing up my little brother had a .243 and has slayed many deer and elk with that rifle. I guess we didn’t know a .243 isn’t big enough to kill an elk!

I did get my daughter the Weatherby Vanguard but in a 7mm08 since I later learned about .243’s being too small for elk 😜

The neat thing about that rifle is that it is not picky about ammo, it shoots everything sub Moa. Great rifles for sure!

I have a 243 winchester model 70 that has taken a pile of deer, and one elk.
I'm no fan of nosler partition bullets. I use 100 gr Hornady flat base bullets coming out at 3150. Hornady stopped making the flat base. I have about 300 rounds of the Hornady left. I have only used it two times in the last 15 years for me to shoot deer. It's probably a lifetime supply. I do have several boxes of partitions I should sell some day.

Back