25ACP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
I was looking at primer pocket tools on Midway USA and wondering if a small pocket could be enlarged to take a LR primer.Some on here will know where this is going.

fisher1 said:
I was looking at primer pocket tools on Midway USA and wondering if a small pocket could be enlarged to take a LR primer.Some on here will know where this is going.

Not sure if you can economically enlarge a 25 ACP to accept a large rifle primer - but have you consider using a Small Rifle Magnum primer in the ACP? I use them (cci-450) they work great even with BH - especially if you have a Lehigh Vent Liner installed...

Primers

I currently have the PR SR adaptor set up.I've wondered about the SR mag. but have read that even they won't reliably work w/BH.Cold weather is my main concern.I had the PR LR plug but my trimmer(Forester) appearently didn't trim square enough and the entire case came out black from blowback.I had it headspaced so the action closed pretty stiff too.Maybe I should just try a Lyman trimmer.It just seems like that primer pocket could be enlarged.Have you used the SR mag in cold weather.

Here is something you may want to try. Enlarge the flash hole in your 25ACP case a bit before you install the primer. I believe someone posted about doing this in an earlier post on the 25ACP plug. The vent liner puts the powder alot closer to the primer and I would think SR Mag primers would work well just as Sabotloader experienced. PR makes a plug for large rifle primers using trimmed 6mm cases but they are expensive.

Just enlarge the flash hole in the brass with a 7/64" drill bit. Flash holes vary quite a bit in those small pistol brass. You can't successfully enlarge a .25 for a LR primer. Try the larger flash hole in the brass and let us know how you make out.Good Luck!

Mountainam said:
Just enlarge the flash hole in the brass with a 7/64" drill bit. Flash holes vary quite a bit in those small pistol brass. You can't successfully enlarge a .25 for a LR primer. Try the larger flash hole in the brass and let us know how you make out.Good Luck!

I knew someone had posted this before. Thanks

25 acp

Did you try small rifle mag primers they may give you the blast you are looking for w/o modification.

I am a modern rifle reloader and have been for a long time. I know of no tool that allows you to change a primer pocket from small to large. Drilling out the flash hole makes sense to me by allowing more fire to the powder. I would not drill too large though because that would allow too much pressure against the primer and possibly back it out enough to give difficulty in opening the action or worse blow through the primer and really cause problems.

PA RR, I think that the only negative to drilling out the flash hole too big is that with not enough brass left you could ram the primer right through the pocket. To drill out a small rifle to a large rifle you need a #4 drill bit and a Lyman large rifle primer pocket uniforming tool ( Midsouth Shooters Supply sells them) and finish off the primer pocket seat. Or you could aquire an end mill in .210" dia. The pressure will not affect the primer due to the .033" vent liner. That's what prevents the pressure rearward not the flash hole. You're probably thinking of a modern rifle casing. In that case you would be correct.

anyone had any luck finding any more .25 acp brass . I have 100 and would like to get more but everything is still on backorder and has been the last 5 -7 months.

Latest posts

Back