260 or 300 grain .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
dead center for elk ??

On there web sit there was not a lot of difence in the trajactory from the 260 or 300 . I am leaning towards the 300 grain . Does anyone use thye 300 grain in there Emcore ? In the past i have used 300 grain Xtp mags for Elk , but i have heard a lot of good things about the performance of the dead center sabots .

Thanks -
Robk.

300 or more penetration can be critical on an elk with unjacketed bullets.

UtahRob

I think I would agree with "jsteurrys" if you are going to shoot an all lead bullet... more weight is always better. But gotta also tell you I have never shot PR's stuff.

I shoot .458/300 grain Noslers for Elk - but that is a whole different bullet.... I beleive I could shoot one very effectively with a .451/260 grain Nosler but I would prefer the 300 grain protected point versus the 260.

In the past i have used 300 grain Xtp mags for Elk

You didn't like the way the XTP performed? That's would have been one I would have picked.

When using all lead bullets the best advice is to go up a notch in weight. 300gr would probably be fine but heavier would be better. Of course if depends on the velocity you are shooting them. I'd go with your 300gr Dead Center for a powder charge of 100gr or less but if using anything heavier I'd go up in bullet weight.

big6x6 said:
In the past i have used 300 grain Xtp mags for Elk

You didn't like the way the XTP performed? That's would have been one I would have picked.

When using all lead bullets the best advice is to go up a notch in weight. 300gr would probably be fine but heavier would be better. Of course if depends on the velocity you are shooting them. I'd go with your 300gr Dead Center for a powder charge of 100gr or less but if using anything heavier I'd go up in bullet weight.

Just looking for something in 300 grain that's a little more aerodynamic . I still may end up using the 300 grain XTP , i have over 200 rounds of the Mag and 1oo rounds of the other .

I killed a cow elk using the 300gr PR bullet out of my White Lightning and it performed great. I was using 100gr Pyrodex P. The yardage was 150yds and did perform a passthu. The exit hole was about 2inches around. This was one of the few sabots that I could get to shoot good out of my white.

Latest posts

Back