260g Speer 45 Caliber HP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
WV Hunter provided this bullet to catch.

IMG_4486.JPG

4488.jpg

IMG_4470.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

Distance from rifle to horse is 25 yard. On the horse is carpet sample, 3/8 plywood, six one gallon water bottles, and a phone book. Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn

The bullet blew the first bottle into three pieces, destroyed the second bottle, damaged the third bottle, went through the fourth, and fifth bottle, and bounced off the sixth bottle. Small pieces of the bullet were found in the third bottle. The bullet was found on the ground about one foot behind the horse. The bullet weighs 187.1 grain.

IMG_4481.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

This bullet is advertised as being 0.451" diameter. These bullet arrived here measuring about 0.4503". These bullet fit the rifle as is without needing to be sized.

Thanks Ron.
Have you ever shot a patched round ball in your testing? Just curious to see how one compares.

Notice the main body of the first bottle is in the air for 50 frames of the video. At 30 frames per second, the shredded bottle is in the air for near two seconds. Wonder if this is some kinda record?

Seems kinda juvenile.................such things. Guess that is why we enjoyed the fourth of july so much; why we enjoy blasting bottles. Never forget dad showing us kids how to blow a can a way up high in the sky............

Notice the main body of the first bottle is in the air for 50 frames of the video. At 30 frames per second, the shredded bottle is in the air for near two seconds. Wonder if this is some kinda record?

Seems kinda juvenile.................such things. Guess that is why we enjoyed the fourth of july so much; why we enjoy blasting bottles. Never forget dad showing us kids how to blow a can a way up high in the sky............

This Speer Bullet did good Ron, Definitely put the HURT on any Critter it were to hit!

Not Juvenile at all! This stuff should be about having fun, Getting out there and enjoying it :lewis:

Its hard to imagine the new 260s doing any better than that. Weight loss is a tad high but with that amount of damage and penetration i dont really care. I got mine to test sabotless in the 45 and milder NULA loads. I like the price point and i was never real happy with the 250gr other than very mild loads or impact speeds.

I will get them in the mail today. I predict the new ones will....
Penetrate less
Expand a little more
Retain a little bit more weight

EDIT:
While looking up the new Hornady 245gr bullet for reloading 450BM i found a comparison to it and the Federal 450BM 260gr. I THINK the bullet Federal is using is the same or similar bullet. Fired at just over 2000fps it retained 86% of its weight in soaked "phone books". So it might be a little tougher than i thought?

Nice Ron!
Those are the bullets that Knight packaged with sabots and sold. I've shot probably 2 dozen whitetails with them over the years, and they always performed great. I only ever had 1 that didn't pass through, and I recovered it and saved it. It looked similar to what you had, just a little more expanded. Hit the heavy shoulder knuckle on the exit due to a sharp quartering shot. It was almost 20yrs ago, so not sure where the bullet is now LOL, if I can find it...I'll post a pic.

Ironically, Speer list them as a "Target Round" not a hunting round, yet were sold as the goto hunting bullet for Knight .50 cal rifles for many many years. The site used to say "Plinker Round". They are cheap, and definitely do the job!

https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullets/handgun-bullets/jacketed-handgun-bullet/4481

They have the new ones listed as .451 but the new ones i got are slightly over .452. The bullet is the same or very similar to the 460S&W and 450B&M loads offered by Federal. The 450 just looks a little more pointy like they changed the ogive slightly. Cant find any good gel tests on Youtube for a comparison but the 460S&W 260gr ammo is running around 1600fps and that bullet looks virtually identical.

Back