270 gr Speer .430 from reloaders valley

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
Just received my shipment of the pulled 270 Speer .430 bullets. In the packages they sent them with sabots. I have never seen them before.

I'll post a picture later when I get home but they are a clear plastic short Sabot.

Anybody have the same experience?

GM54-120 said:
Can you measure the loaded OD?

Never seen them in clear before.

The Sabot measures .778

It looks like the sabots are almost too thick for this bullet. When I push it down it really spreads the pedals out. Im going to shoot some tomorrow

GM54-120 said:
Sounds like a 10 gauge sabot. You will never get that down a 50cal bore.

I gotcha.... wonder why they have them with them?

I wish I had a use for them..... If anyone can use them drop me a pm and I give em to ya. I have 150 of them

Guess you got all they had since they now say "out of stock".
They say those are from a "pull down operation", and have 50cal sabots. Wonder what they pulled them out of that had sabots? Shotgun slugs? Do the sabots have any marks on them from that operation?

Not picking on ya but are you sure that those sabots measure that with the bullet in it? Just real curious what the came from. :huh?:

ShawnT said:
Guess you got all they had since they now say "out of stock".
They say those are from a "pull down operation", and have 50cal sabots. Wonder what they pulled them out of that had sabots? Shotgun slugs? Do the sabots have any marks on them from that operation?

Not picking on ya but are you sure that those sabots measure that with the bullet in it? Just real curious what the came from. :huh?:

That was the size of the sabot alone. I can measure it with bullet in it.

Here is a picture 1.39, I was referring to how far the pedals are spread out. Almost like the sabot is too thick

Remington and Winchester use 385 grain pills in their sabots for 12 gauge, 260 grain in their 20's. Hornady uses three different bullets in the 20 gauge stuff but all are 250 grain while the 12 gauge Hornady ammo comes in either a 300 grain or 325 grain. Federal sabots are in line with Winchester and Remington bullet weights. I have a 12 gauge Winchester partition gold and a 12 gauge Winchester BRI sabots here that have the crimp removed so the bullets/sabots can slip out of the case, both using .50 caliber pills, the BRI a "waisted" lead number that weighs a full one ounce. In both of those the sabots are very thick walled, appearing to be much thicker than those in your pictures so I'm inclined to think along the 20 gauge lines. In rifled shotguns the rifling in the barrel is not near as deep as rifling found in muzzies or centerfires so sabot compression in a shotgun may be way more radical than in the blackpowder world.

In any event I like to know the exact source of what goes down the barrels of my guns so the white sabots would be chucked and known sabots paired up with the bullets since I can't find any factory ammo using the speer 270 in sabot shotgun ammo.

Dave,

We were referring to the diameter of the sabot with the bullet in it instead of length. Just take one that has a bullet and use the calipers to push the pedals against the bullet and see what it measures. If it really is a 50 caliber sabot it should be closer to .502- .504 etc.

20 gauge is about .615 bore so getting a .778 sabot just in the shell sounds awfully tight to me.
20_3_shell_saami.PNG

The "sabots" im finding for 12 gauge slugs have been .740 or less. Ballistic Products has tons of measurements listed for wads, sabots and gas seals. Nothing for 12 gauge even comes close to .778 but it is very close to 10 gauge. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/
12gashotshell.jpg

There are 10 gauge slugs available but I'm not certain about them being sabots or if the 10"s even have rifled barrels. Nothing would surprise me should such be the case.

Ive never seen one either. Only Foster type slugs in 10 gauge. I cant imagine what else a .778 sabot would fit though. That size is pretty much right inline with 10 gauge gas seals and wads though.

Its quite a mystery.

I think it looks like he measured the sabot/bullet combo length and did not measure the diameter..???

ShawnT said:
Dave,

We were referring to the diameter of the sabot with the bullet in it instead of length. Just take one that has a bullet and use the calipers to push the pedals against the bullet and see what it measures. If it really is a 50 caliber sabot it should be closer to .502- .504 etc.

I gotcha....I'll definitely measure when I get home.

Back