Speer 270 gr .429 DeepCurl...Anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris W.

Reaction score
Recently had a friend give me a box of .429 270 gr Speer DeepCurl soft points. Figured I'd give them a try through the Optima V2 to see how they shoot. Anyone have any experience on game animals with this bullet? Did a forum search and didn't come up with much on the deep curl in that weight. Seems like it could be an interesting choice for whitetail come Fall. Need to see how they shoot first though. Thanks

Appreciate the input. Once I can get to the range, I'll decide if I want to use them for the upcoming season.

I used them with 90 grains of black powder in a .50 ThunderHawk 24", with 120 grains of 777 in a .50 Black Diamond XR, and still use them with 70 grains 777 in my .50 Renegade. Deer don't go far (30-40 yards) after a vitals hit with the old 270 GoldDot (now DeepCurl).

It's my favorite .44 Mag bullet since Hornady discontinued the 275 XTP!

I'm currently working with them in an H&R Sidekick .50 with green CrushRib sabots and have 100 yard groups down to 1 1/4". Still working through powder weights to see if I can tighten up groups.

Back