2f vs 3f

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier635

Reaction score
Howdy ML shooters, for the same weight of 2f and 3f powder with PLRBs, which burns faster, has more muzzle velocity and flatter trajectory?

3F, most likely. With a patched ball it may not amount to that much more but 3f is faster burning and slightly cleaner. It'll depend a lot on the powder too. T7 fffg will burn hotter than true blacks and thus move things a bit faster than fffg black.

Larger bores supposedly do better with 2F

For a given "weight by volume" the smaller granules will end up with more for any given volume

Because individual grains are smaller, there is more surface area so more of it will be burning at any given moment, so slightly higher pressures and velocities

FWIW all my stuff - 44 pistol, rifles in 45-54 cal and a 12ga all get the same 3F Schutzen/Grafs powder

In all of my hunting blackhorn shooting guns that see range time, they get fed fffg T7. And yes I weight the T7 so the T7 loads mirror my Bh loads charge-wise.

Larger bores supposedly do better with 2F

For a given "weight by volume" the smaller granules will end up with more for any given volume

Because individual grains are smaller, there is more surface area so more of it will be burning at any given moment, so slightly higher pressures and velocities

FWIW all my stuff - 44 pistol, rifles in 45-54 cal and a 12ga all get the same 3F Schutzen/Grafs powder
Bingo😃

Latest posts

Back