300 grain 44 XTP and Harvester Crush Ribs...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTerminator

Reaction score
There was a thread earlier asking about 300 grain 44 Cal XTPs paired up with 50/44 Harvester Crush Rib Sabots. I just finished sighting in with this combo and thought I would post up.

Shooting this combo off the bench with 100 grains equivalent loose ffg T7 and T7 primers from a T/C Triumph with a T/C Hawkens 1X scope, I got consistent 2" groups at 50 yards.

Considering that with a 1X scope the crosshairs nearly completely cover a 6" target spot at 50 yards, I am more than satisfied with this accuracy. I'm quite certain I can shade this a bit with iron sights, and could easily beat it at 100 yards if the NDGF Dept saw fit to let us use a scope with more top end...

I killed a number of deer with the 300 grain XTP from a 44 Mag Marlin carbine which I would guess roughly matches the performance of this load, so I would have no hesitation on using it on deer-elk sized critters...

GMB120300.jpg

I shoot the same bullet out of my Renegade which has a 1-28 twist stainless steel Green Mountain Barrel on it. The barrel has a 1X32mm Thompson Center scope. I push the .44 caliber hard, shooting 120 grains of powder but I can not complain about the accuracy.

The clean barrel threw that five o'clock hit. After that between the two projectiles I was testing, it just kep putting them in there shot after shot. That would have more then enough power for anything I want to hunt.

Back