Knight Vision - First Range Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks, I am super pleased with this rifle. It shot 100 grain (v) Triple 7 2FG, 300 grain Hornady XTP in Harvester Black Crush rib sabots with regular cci 209 primers amazingly well. I mean like tight groups and bullseyes all day. The Barnes T-EZ i290 grain in the blue sabot was a much tighter fit and was hitting 2 inches to the left of where the Hornady's hit. Clean up was a little more complicated than on a CVA in that you need a wrench {comes with the gun} to remove the breech plug. That said, it was quick and cleaned up just fine. IF YOU ARE SITTING ON THE FENCE ON THIS ONE, FOR $199 I THINK THIS IS A STEAL!

Nice! I'm really looking into them, any word on if they will shoot BH209?
Steve from Knight says they will, recommended 90 grain volume. When I am out of T7, I will try. Or maybe I will get more T7, I really go back and forth on this. BH209, at the new price/reduced ounces, costs me $1.57 every time I pull the trigger (based on 67 grains (w) - based on that I should get 52 shots per 8 ounce bottle. Add bullet and sabot and the price does get up there. On their other hand, I probably do not shoot 52 bullets a year. But even if I do, one bottle a year, even at 80 bucks may be worth it to avoid the swabbing. Which sometimes I mind, like today it was annoying, and sometimes I don’t. If I am being honest, I probably will get more BH209…I have two full 10 ounce bottles left…so probably 130 shots left. Call it 3-4 season’s worth. Not a dilemma I am facing anytime soon. On the other hand, maybe I will increase the pace of my shooting. Who knows. Grand scheme of things, I am annoyed, as we all are, with the price increase, but I will probably suck it up when the time comes.

Steve from Knight says they will, recommended 90 grain volume. When I am out of T7, I will try. Or maybe I will get more T7, I really go back and forth on this. BH209, at the new price/reduced ounces, costs me $1.57 every time I pull the trigger (based on 67 grains (w) - based on that I should get 52 shots per 8 ounce bottle. Add bullet and sabot and the price does get up there. On their other hand, I probably do not shoot 52 bullets a year. But even if I do, one bottle a year, even at 80 bucks may be worth it to avoid the swabbing. Which sometimes I mind, like today it was annoying, and sometimes I don’t. If I am being honest, I probably will get more BH209…I have two full 10 ounce bottles left…so probably 130 shots left. Call it 3-4 season’s worth. Not a dilemma I am facing anytime soon. On the other hand, maybe I will increase the pace of my shooting. Who knows. Grand scheme of things, I am annoyed, as we all are, with the price increase, but I will probably suck it up when the time comes.
thanks for the info, Yeah the reduced swabbing is so nice. How often were you swabbing on the range with the T7?

Mine is setup with 100grns by volume of Blackhorn 260grn Hawk bullet and Federal 209A Primer. I bought the gun three or four years ago. Camo with mat black barrel and receiver 209 ready. I must admit one of my favorites.For the price I think a great deal.If you don't shoot very much I'd go with the BH.If you shoot often I'd load up with T7 and keep the BH for hunting.

Last edited:
Mine is setup with 100grns by volume of Blackhorn 260grn Hawk bullet and Federal 209A Primer. I bought the gun three or four years ago. Camo with mat black barrel and receiver 209 ready. I must admit one of my favorites.For the price I think a great deal.If you don't shoot very much I'd go with the BH.If you shoot often I'd load up with T7 and keep the BH for hunting.
And you are using the non-jacketed bare primer oem breech plug?

Based on your report, if I decided to buy another muzzy, I'd look into the Vision a little more.(Ha..a pun!)
Just wondering though. If you're basing your purchasing of BH209 on swabbing between shots and you don't shoot that much AND T7 shoots great out of your rifle, why spend the extra money? You get to shoot more for less. IMO swabbing between shots gives you consistency and gives the barrel time to cool between shots as does the swabbing itself. Its a win win. How many times do you get a 2nd or 3rd shot hunting?

Based on your report, if I decided to buy another muzzy, I'd look into the Vision a little more.(Ha..a pun!)
Just wondering though. If you're basing your purchasing of BH209 on swabbing between shots and you don't shoot that much AND T7 shoots great out of your rifle, why spend the extra money? You get to shoot more for less. IMO swabbing between shots gives you consistency and gives the barrel time to cool between shots as does the swabbing itself. Its a win win. How many times do you get a 2nd or 3rd shot hunting?
That is a great question…of course, no part of my ML spending really makes sense! I wanted to extend my season and get an extra tag 4 years ago. Somehow that has morphed into 3 inlines (now two, traded the Optima for a Winchester Shotgun!), three percussion side locks (now 2, sold on that I just could not see using) - including a brand new in box, unfired Lyman Deerstalker that I waited more than a year for…that I doubt I intend to shoot because why spoil a pristine gun. You go down a rabbit hole in this thing…I have no “reason” to switch to BH except that I like that it smokes a little less and is easier to clean up. Is that “worth” 35 bucks a bottle more, not really- which is why I hem and haw. Only point I was making is that in the grand scheme of things, I doubt I go through a bottle a year, so the price of other things will pinch harder, faster than whether I splurge on my powder.

Mine likes 105 gr T7 fffg and 300 gr Speer gold dots in crush rib sabot. The only time now that I use my remaining small stash of BH209 is for hunting primarily for the ability to leave rifle loaded during season. But for the price its a nice rifle a little heavier then Id like but I usually in a stand anyway.

That is a great question…of course, no part of my ML spending really makes sense! I wanted to extend my season and get an extra tag 4 years ago. Somehow that has morphed into 3 inlines (now two, traded the Optima for a Winchester Shotgun!), three percussion side locks (now 2, sold on that I just could not see using) - including a brand new in box, unfired Lyman Deerstalker that I waited more than a year for…that I doubt I intend to shoot because why spoil a pristine gun. You go down a rabbit hole in this thing…I have no “reason” to switch to BH except that I like that it smokes a little less and is easier to clean up. Is that “worth” 35 bucks a bottle more, not really- which is why I hem and haw. Only point I was making is that in the grand scheme of things, I doubt I go through a bottle a year, so the price of other things will pinch harder, faster than whether I splurge on my powder.
Point taken. I started back in about 1972 with a T/C Hawken flintlock for PAs new primitive season. Now like you I've morphed into a full muzzleloader addict. I have 5 sidelocks from 36 cal up to 58 cal. and at last count 7 inlines (I think). I've shot every kind of black powder and substitute you can think of and in all that experience and trials I've only had one rifle that shot BH209 the most accurately. So in that rifle I wlll continue to use it.

Last edited:
I have had very similar (great) results with my Vision.

Another nice thing is the trigger group drops out of the gun with a single well
made chunky screw and has hardly any moving parts.

Super easy to clean every part of the gun unlike my CVA l!

Mine likes 105 gr T7 fffg and 300 gr Speer gold dots in crush rib sabot. The only time now that I use my remaining small stash of BH209 is for hunting primarily for the ability to leave rifle loaded during season. But for the price its a nice rifle a little heavier then Id like but I usually in a stand anyway.
Gman I hunt in PA in Dec and Jan with my flintlock rifle loaded with black powder and unless I'm out in some wet snow, sleet or rain that rifle stays loaded all season and I've never had a failure to fire or corrosion issue. I do fire, clean and reload if I suspect powder contamination via dampness. I've been doing this for 50 years. You don't need bh209 just to keep your rifle loaded all season!

Folks, I am super pleased with this rifle. It shot 100 grain (v) Triple 7 2FG, 300 grain Hornady XTP in Harvester Black Crush rib sabots with regular cci 209 primers amazingly well. I mean like tight groups and bullseyes all day. The Barnes T-EZ i290 grain in the blue sabot was a much tighter fit and was hitting 2 inches to the left of where the Hornady's hit. Clean up was a little more complicated than on a CVA in that you need a wrench {comes with the gun} to remove the breech plug. That said, it was quick and cleaned up just fine. IF YOU ARE SITTING ON THE FENCE ON THIS ONE, FOR $199 I THINK THIS IS A STEAL!
What was the gun this was fired in?

FOR $199 I THINK THIS IS A STEAL!
Agreed. I'd always been doubtful of firearms with "plastic frames" until buying an older camo Vision from a forum member. The tight action, solid lockup, very sturdy construction (little heavier than expected) and of course Knight quality impressed me so much I got another one, the $199 special. I'd trust these two rifles in the roughest conditions I've ever hunted.

Back