300 grain XTP too much

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70

Reaction score
Well, I got some N120 for Christmas. Put in some range time to get the ML10II switched over from 5744 just in time for the late antlerless only season. I have read some opinions that the 300 grain bullet is a bit much for deer sized game. I can tell you it was a little too much for the yearling deer that gave me a 75 yard broadside shot last night. :D I aimed for the front shoulder, breaking the near leg (hit it right in the shoulder blade/leg bone socket). The bullet zipped right through the heart/lungs, exiting out the far shoulder. It didn't leave a huge exit hole, but I'll find out more as I skin and butcher tonight. The deer did manage to make it 50 yards before skidding to a halt. I'm hoping that meat damage will be minimal (if I was extremely worried about that, I would have aimed BEHIND the shoulder).

This concludes my deer season until next fall. I can not purchase any more tags, which is a good thing unless I want to wind up in front of the divorce courts. :lol:

While I personally pefer 250 gr. the Savage was designed around the 300 gr. bullet. There is a lot of guys here that use and swear by the 300's on Whitetail. So I don't at all think it's too much. :)

I sing nothing but a song of praise for the 300 grn. XTP! It has never,I mean NEVER failed to bring home the meat.The farthest I have had a deer go was approx. 70 yds,and that was not the bullets fault! I hit the deer in the liver and guts.In the last 5 seasons,that bullet has accounted for 36 whitetails, of which 95% were smack downs! From 60 lb. yearlings to a 230 lb. filed dressed buck.Gotta love it! :lol:

There are 300 XTPs and 300XTP MAGs. The former works much better on whitetail deer whereas the latter is for larger game. I shot 2 deer with the mag version and 45 cal hole in and out. The non-mag performed much better. This bullet is extremely accurate in all 6 10-MLs I've shoot them in. The 300SST, which I use now, has a higher BC with equal accuracy for me. The 300XTP product # ends in "0" and the mag version ends in "5". While 5744 has many attributes, other powders can raise the velocity as much as 300'/sec or more with no more and often less pressure.

hmmm 5 shots taken 5 dead deer hmm given the doe on the drive was flipped backwards off the ridge and landed behind where i shot her total recovery yards for 5 deer about 60 feet for all the load
44.0 5744 mmp short 300XTP non-mag the aformentioned doe was a head on shot at 11 feet at a dead sprint, impact was inside of near chest center rt shoulder passing down the spine popping off 4 ribs and continuing ending behind a broken left rear hip intact at 174 grains near 80 caliber, 170lb buck broadside55-60 yrds crossing shot from rt shoulder blade exiting behind lt shoulder taking a rib on exit and leaving NO lungs in the buck :shock: and an exit of 3x6 inches and an off-side impact crater in the hillside you have to remember with a savage and smokeless you have a rifle not a big conical at 1300fps that pokes a hole we as savage hunters need to pick shot placement carefully or pass on the meat destroying shots! :shock: see ya guys

I wonder how you shoot through shoulder blade/leg socket and out the far shoulder and still hit the heart and lungs. Is my understanding of placement of a deers internal organs wrong?
Hillbill Jim

Jim,
I guess I was referring to the heart/lung cavity more than saying I hit heart and lung. From my cursory look, the heart appeared to be untouched, but the lungs took a good hit. A shoulder shot usually gets one or the other, sometimes both. Hitting the leg joint at the base of the scapula (shoulder blade) is in the vicinty of the top of the heart. Sorry for a misleading post.

See: http://www.nbef.org/deer_java.html

Last year was my first year with a muzzleloader and I had the good sense to buy an ML-II. I was happy with 250 SST's last year. This year I switched to 300 XTP's - mostly because RW speaks so highly of them. I like the XTP's much better b/c they don't appear to fragment, they seem to drop deer quicker, and they cost less although that is not a big issue. I shot many bullets each of 300 grainers including - Barnes Original, Barnes Expander, and SST and concluded that XTP's worked best for me. I agree with all the reports that Barnes Originals shoot flatter, but my groups were better with XTP's. This year, I have taken two deer at 235 yards, one at 212 and one at 155. None went more than 10 yards.

I have plenty of 250 grain SST's and XTP's and expect to compare them again this year during the off season, but something tells me the 300 XTP will bring home the venison in December.

BR's from the cob pile.

jimsass said:
I wonder how you shoot through shoulder blade/leg socket and out the far shoulder and still hit the heart and lungs. Is my understanding of placement of a deers internal organs wrong?
Hillbill Jim
Its all about angles and reading glasses! :oops:

Corncob,
I shot lots of 250 SST's last year as well, taken 12 deer. I found them to be very explosive and I am serious when I use the word explosive. They usually took the deer off their feet, but it seemed they frag'd a lot. I was also shooting 4227 "before I learned better". I never did have a misfire with 4227, but maybe it was just a matter of time.
This year I thought I would switch to 5744 and shot my first deer of the season with a 250 XTP. This bullet fragmented as well leaving a very bizarre wound channel through the deer (shot at 104 yards, broadside). Granted, a dead deer is a dead deer, but I switched to the 300 XTP (non-mag) in case I am presented with a shot where I need deep penetration at a somewhat less than ideal shot presentation (ie the deer not standing broadside). The next deer was shot at 125 yards with 5744 and a 300 XTP. The bullet penetrated straight through the deer, smashing bones, performance more in line with what I was seeking.
After shooting close to 20 deer since getting the ML10II two years ago, I think I am finally getting a powder/bullet combo that suits MY personal criteria for a hunting load. Now in the off season I need to practice the long shots (for me, 200 yards) to gain confidence in my shooting ability. I'm not trying to convert anybody to a powder or bullet, just saying that I've found the load I want to use. YMMV :D

Latest posts

Back