300 yds.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70

Reaction score
subsonic MV. Target says 38 grains BH209 but was 35 by weight. Testing new Weber Shooting System

Attachments

• 20190522_165010.jpg
    20190522_165010.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190522_164728.jpg
    20190522_164728.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
1 moa is certainly a good group. There aren’t many loads that will do that at all..
Another benefit to the long conical as they don’t loose speed rapidly compared to those 1/2 its weight, regardless of speed.
Keep up the testing as in the TN match was to 200. By the looks, it will have no problem to 500.

Last edited:
As for the Weber Shooting System- lol
It will become available soon at you nearest outdoor store MSRP $19.95. If you order before January 2020, you’ll receive a free Package of sabots....but that’s not all. The 1st 500 customers will also receive some awesome looking pistol bullets. Total value of free gifts valued at $29.95, but nearly worthless like other systems for Accurate LR shooting..

Rick, do you feel it is critical for best accuracy, to avoid having the bullet go subsonic, if it starts out supersonic?

Ed, we all can agree there are many factors to achieve very good accuracy. ‘Best’ may be impossible to say.
This Subsonic was just a thought as I know HP and .22lr guys see this ‘transition’ as a problem - the bullet is being disrupted during its flight. HP guys now stay supersonic all the way. .22lr have known for years staying subsonic just works.
Bullets react in the transition differently, but it’s there more so the lighter the bullet.
Going to a match with a new load and having no idea how it might shoot past 50yds is just me - doubt I’ve shot the same rifle, bullet, etc. rarely more than once in a match.
If you noticed the chart - note how little loss of fps these weight bullets have lost at each 100yd interval.
Since I’ve had some success. I’ll probably play this summer going even lower.
You might try your 350gr at Subsonic!

I guess I did not realize this was anything new . I was told grease groove bullets liked 1100 to 1200 FPS . With a popular 45 530 grain bullet I would think it would be subsonic almost immediately? I guess I assumed that was the advantage to heavy lead ?

I guess I did not realize this was anything new . I was told grease groove bullets liked 1100 to 1200 FPS . With a popular 45 530 grain bullet I would think it would be subsonic almost immediately? I guess I assumed that was the advantage to heavy lead ?
Doug: My normal 85gr Swiss 2f load is right around 1300fps (75gr 3f is about the same Vel). I’ll check sometime, but I’d suspect I’d have to drop that to 50gr or so to get below 1100fps.

Here’s a chart at 1300fps. Nearly 200yds before going Subsonic.
9B5CABE9-993D-4418-B4A5-A6FDA823B424.jpeg

Does heavy lead get squirrelly while going subsonic ? With your normal loads do you loose accuracy at 200 yards then accuracy comes back after going subsonic ? I honestly have no idea but have peaked my curiosity. I guess I always assumed with heavy lead it must make less of a difference once going subsonic . With lighter bullets obviously accuracy falls off quick even while getting close to subsonic.

Does heavy lead get squirrelly while going subsonic ? With your normal loads do you loose accuracy at 200 yards then accuracy comes back after going subsonic ? I honestly have no idea but have peaked my curiosity. I guess I always assumed with heavy lead it must make less of a difference once going subsonic . With lighter bullets obviously accuracy falls off quick even while getting close to subsonic.

Doug: I’ve always heard that heavy conicals (ML or BL) don’t settle down until you get out to 200+. I never shot my LR match rifles under 200yards as Friendship Silhouettes start at 200 and Oak Ridge as well- to 1000.
It wasn’t until messing with inlines that I shot these loads under 200 - with a scope!
On paper it has seemed 50 & especially 100 the 5 shots should/could be better (more x). Time will tell if these subsonic will produce more x.

I've have been shooting my 240gr 44 mag sabots at 200 yards out of my Whitlighting. Next time at range I'll go back to my 464gr lead bullets and see if I can get better groups at 200 yards. Didn't measure group size but probably 6-8 inches. It was pouring rain and I didn't want to get any wetter.

I think the further away you get, the less visible the holes become in red........remember, red will turn to black as the light fades. This is why IBS 600 and 1K use light blue for the outter nine and ten rings leaving the X ring white.

Check the bullet holes. Looks like the bullets are starting to wobble. Only will get worse farther out.

Latest posts

Back