300g Thor -- 80g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but it kind of cracks me up to hear someone say a 2” area group at 100 yards with a muzzleloader is not good accuracy. However you slice it, you are pouring an explosive powder down a barrel and then stuffing a bullet down on top of it. Yes there are guns and bullets that are capable of shooting slightly better but that is a good group for a Muzzy.

No, not really.

Unless you are happy with a 2" group with the first charge and bullet choice you try.

My ML experience is limited to a Knight DISC (scoped) only and I would not be happy with a 2" group at 100yds. I realize depending on what rifle you are shooting you may be very happy with shooting 2" groups. So I would say depending on what rifle you are shooting, scoped or open sights, 2" groups may or may not be good accuracy for that particular rifle.

Last edited:
One thing I have found is that you can’t ask someone “what do you shoot for good accuracy” and expect that your rifle will duplicate it. Lots of experimentation to find accuracy: I is usually use 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110 on all new bullets to see what is most accurate. Never gone above 110. Neck can’t take it. But then my elk load is 95 gr

As to your encore, I had a TC Omega ( same company/similar barrel) that shot conicals at an 8 “ group at 25 yards with some bullets going thru the targets sideways. Sent that gun to T/C and they produced a group of 1& 1/2” at 50 yards with 80 of real black and a maxi ball. I had never tried real black but had used 5 or 6 different conicals with lousy results. They would t replace the barrel.

How May bullets and powders and different amounts of powder have you tried? Could be a different bullet or a different powder would give you the results you are looking for. Either way, you are getting a lot better accuracy with conicals that my T/C gun got.

I purchased the Accura V2 because of CVA's claim that it would be the most accurate muzzleloader I've ever shot. It isn't. I get better groups from my Encore shooting home made bore sized bullets.
I shoot Fury 320gr Star Tip 2P bullets sized to fit with a Hankin's smooth sizing die over a .060 veggie wad over 77.4 grains of BH209 (weighed) out of a CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle with a Arrowhead LRMP breech plug and CCI 250 primers. It shoots 3 shot one ragged hole groups @ 100 yards and 1- 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards off of sand bags. Granted, those are ideal circumstances and are far from field conditions but the point is accuracy that rivals a center-fire is possible out of a muzzleloader if done properly. It's safe to say I'm not satisfied with 2" groups @100 yards.

I have shot the thor's and sabots with excellent groups out of my accura v2 I found that it likes the magnum charge to group at 1.2 clovers. I have used BH 209 at max charge and all of the pellets manufactured by all brands,it liked all at max for my gun. Start at 60 g and go up by 10 until it starts to group then move scope to the group. I started with bh209 and got to 120g and the groups got to 1.2 at 100yds. I found 3 50g white hots. The same groups. I can't get bh209 around here for over 2 years. White hots are around here for me that's what I use from now on . But be willing to try different bullets and charges you will be on par soon don't give up.

Latest posts

Back