.32 Caliber Issues and Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satokad

Reaction score
Well, I took my gun show-bought CVA 32 Cal Squirrel rifle out to the range today to get it sighted in. First round didn't fire. I did have powder in there, and the hole from nipple to powder was clear (I blew through it and could hear the air come out the muzzle). I was using Triple 7 FFFg and Remington #11 percussion caps. The only thing I could think of is that I got the patch too wet and it dampened the powder (I used the old saliva method). Interesting to note that I had a hard time getting the ramrod out when I loaded, and it came out with a little bit of patch. Tried several more caps and nothing helped. Didn't have a handle on the ramrod so I couldn't get enough of a purchase to pull the ball out.
A few hours later as I finished a hike (couldn't waste a day in the Hills), I remembered reading about loading without powder and pouring a bit of powder in the flash hole, so I tried it. Didn't work. Then I thought about getting under the nipple, so I unscrewed it and put a little powder in that chamber. That did the trick (slight delay between cap and charge ignition). I cleaned out the barrel good in case the damp powder left some residue. I then reloaded and..... nothing again. I unscrewed the nipple and put some powder down there again. That worked with no delay between cap and powder ignition. Didn't try it again as it was getting dark.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should check to keep this from happening over and over?
Also of note, the bolster screw head is messed up. The edges of the head for loosening the screw are stripped (didn't notice that before). Does the flash chamber (or whatever it's called) unscrew from the barrel or is it permanently attached?
One other question. There seems to be some sort of a ridge or something at the bottom of the barrel. I can feel the jag catch on it. Not enough to keep hold of it, but I wonder if the barrel might need work or replacement (can you tell I don't have too much experience fixing these).
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a dirty barrel. That little ridge you describe is called the ante chamber, ( I can't put up a picture of how it looks but I'm sure someone can).
That area is probably full of crud, causing misfires.
A good cleaning of the barrel with soapy water, using the old plunger method will loosen up all that stuff in there.
If you can't remove that bolster screw, don't worry about it.
You you don't have, get some pipe cleaners. You can remove the nipple and push a pipe cleaner down and through the flame channel to clean it out.
Also, a 22 caliber bore brush with a patch on it should reach into the ante chamber to clean it out.
The roundy thing where the nipple goes is called the drum.
It can be removed but I don't recommend trying to if you're not experienced with sidehammer guns.
Your triple 7 should be OK but I think that real black powder is probably best for that gun.

If your seating jag is bringing pieces of oatch out with it, you may be pulling the bullet off the powder charge causing the no fire. When you set the ball in muzzle, trim the patch slightly above the bearing surface and see if that helps

After I wrote that, I did clean it out. Ran hot water down the barrel and cleaned it out with about a dozen patches. That little ridge did seem to be gone.
I did trim the patch before running it down, but probably not enough.
I’ll have to get back out and see if it fires correctly now. Maybe it just needed a good cleaning. I had ran some patches when I first got it, but they didn’t come out dirty. Lesson learned.

Personally I wouldn’t blow in the barrel, you’re needlessly putting moisture in there. I’d fire a percussion cap or two in the unloaded gun while holding the muzzle near a leaf or piece of paper on the ground. You should see it move.

Well, I took my gun show-bought CVA 32 Cal Squirrel rifle out to the range today to get it sighted in. First round didn't fire. I did have powder in there, and the hole from nipple to powder was clear (I blew through it and could hear the air come out the muzzle). I was using Triple 7 FFFg and Remington #11 percussion caps. The only thing I could think of is that I got the patch too wet and it dampened the powder (I used the old saliva method). Interesting to note that I had a hard time getting the ramrod out when I loaded, and it came out with a little bit of patch. Tried several more caps and nothing helped. Didn't have a handle on the ramrod so I couldn't get enough of a purchase to pull the ball out.
A few hours later as I finished a hike (couldn't waste a day in the Hills), I remembered reading about loading without powder and pouring a bit of powder in the flash hole, so I tried it. Didn't work. Then I thought about getting under the nipple, so I unscrewed it and put a little powder in that chamber. That did the trick (slight delay between cap and charge ignition). I cleaned out the barrel good in case the damp powder left some residue. I then reloaded and..... nothing again. I unscrewed the nipple and put some powder down there again. That worked with no delay between cap and powder ignition. Didn't try it again as it was getting dark.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should check to keep this from happening over and over?
Also of note, the bolster screw head is messed up. The edges of the head for loosening the screw are stripped (didn't notice that before). Does the flash chamber (or whatever it's called) unscrew from the barrel or is it permanently attached?
One other question. There seems to be some sort of a ridge or something at the bottom of the barrel. I can feel the jag catch on it. Not enough to keep hold of it, but I wonder if the barrel might need work or replacement (can you tell I don't have too much experience fixing these).
Thanks in advance.
didn't fire because of t 777 , a #11 cap isn't hot enough to ignite it

See it you can get your hands on some Pyrodex P (RS if you have to) or FFFg black powder. Secondly use a 30 cal cleaning rod and a slotted jag. Put a patch in the slot and fold it over the tip of the jag and put it down the bore and turn clockwise so as not to unscrew the rod. This should wipe out any crap down in the breech.
Now when you pour your powder down the bore pick the rifle up and with the bore pointed upward bump the stock a few times with the palm of your hand at the tang then a couple more times on the lock side. This will settle the powder down into the breech and close to the flame channel. Then seat your PRB. Like 45-70 said you won't get reliable ignition with #11 caps and T7.

Are you using standard #11 caps? They do make #11 magnum caps. I’ve had no problems using T7 3F in my 36 cal inline, using magnum caps.

Thanks in advance.
it has a patent breech i imagine
Will it work with a #10 cap? I can get some Pyrodex if I have to, but I got 3# of the T7 FFFg.
no

Are you using standard #11 caps? They do make #11 magnum caps. I’ve had no problems using T7 3F in my 36 cal inline, using magnum caps.
I am using standard caps. I had no problem with them and T7 (albeit FFg) in my 50 cal Hawken.

Last edited:
FWIW, mine shoots better with FFG than FFFG. Also if it starts/continues misfiring without finding any other obvious problems, your mainspring might be getting ready to go.

FWIW, mine shoots better with FFG than FFFG. Also if it starts/continues misfiring without finding any other obvious problems, your mainspring might be getting ready to go.
Pardon my lack of understanding, but how does the mainspring affect ignition? I assume you are talking about the spring in the hammer. The cap does fire every time.
Thanks.

Change it to a NP1019 Nipple - Spitfire Magnum Musket Nipple or a spitfire nipple for #11 caps.

I will look into this. I am guessing they are available from various suppliers?

get some pipe cleaners. You can remove the nipple and push a pipe cleaner down and through the flame channel to clean it out.
I grabbed some from my wife’s craft supplies. Ran it down through and it feels pretty open. Was going to take it out today to see if everything helped but it’s just too windy. I want to also get some accurate sighting done when I go.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Back