32 S&W short bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here load 32 S&W short? Trying to find what size diameter bullets to buy. .313 ? .314 ? Don’t want to get too small and bullet drops in or too large and can’t seat the bullet without shearing off lead. That’s after the casing has been prepped and primed.

Well the problem is really the bores tend to be oversized in relation to the chambers in the revolvers. Thus if you use the correctly sized bullet. It may swell the case out enough to prevent the round from chambering. What might be a solution is a hollow base full wadcutter bullet like they use in target shooting. Thus the bullet skirt would tend to expand some to fit the barrel better. You need to get a measurement of the bore in your gun to determine what might work for you.

Well the problem is really the bores tend to be oversized in relation to the chambers in the revolvers. Thus if you use the correctly sized bullet. It may swell the case out enough to prevent the round from chambering. What might be a solution is a hollow base full wadcutter bullet like they use in target shooting. Thus the bullet skirt would tend to expand some to fit the barrel better. You need to get a measurement of the bore in your gun to determine what might work for you.
I appreciate your response. I just recently acquired a Pietta 1863 Remington 31 caliber. It came with a conversion cylinder in 32 S&W shorts only. I bought a box of Remington Wheel Gun 88gr LD RN 680 FPS. I plan to reload them after I use them up. I’ll either use Trail Boss or 4f black powder. The person I got the revolver said he never used the cylinder. I am looking for the right size bullets that won’t expand the casing and one that won’t fit loose in the case. I’m not really looking for accuracy, just some fun plinking.

.313 ought to work. But some guns had tight chambers thus they used .311 size bullets too. Tough call without actually trying some different sizes and or measuring things. A lot of factory ammo used .311 bullets too.

You .31 revolver will be a hoot to shoot. Lots of fun there for sure.

I appreciate your response. I just recently acquired a Pietta 1863 Remington 31 caliber. It came with a conversion cylinder in 32 S&W shorts only. I bought a box of Remington Wheel Gun 88gr LD RN 680 FPS. I plan to reload them after I use them up. I’ll either use Trail Boss or 4f black powder. The person I got the revolver said he never used the cylinder. I am looking for the right size bullets that won’t expand the casing and one that won’t fit loose in the case. I’m not really looking for accuracy, just some fun plinking.
If the Remington ammo works well, why not just measure those bullets?

.313 ought to work. But some guns had tight chambers thus they used .311 size bullets too. Tough call without actually trying some different sizes and or measuring things. A lot of factory ammo used .311 bullets too.

You .31 revolver will be a hoot to shoot. Lots of fun there for sure.
Ok, one thing I’m running into is the quantity. Most places I’ve been to are 500 bullets. Found a place that has “Samples” of 100. I’ll be trying them. I guess I’ll just have to wait till I get the factory ammo.
Thanks a bunch for your input,

Oldvic

Here is another article about the .32S& W too. It covers some of the annoying things you can run into reloading. I had forgotten that the higher end guns had stepped chambers where the step is just in front of the case lip. Other cheaper guns had the chambers bored straight through.
https://massgunownership.com/reloading/32S&W.html
I tend to have a thing for liking the .32s of all types. Just something about that caliber fascinates me.

Here is another article about the .32S& W too. It covers some of the annoying things you can run into reloading. I had forgotten that the higher end guns had stepped chambers where the step is just in front of the case lip. Other cheaper guns had the chambers bored straight through.
https://massgunownership.com/reloading/32S&W.html
I tend to have a thing for liking the .32s of all types. Just something about that caliber fascinates me.
Yes this cylinder has the step, keep from chambering a longer cartridge. I would think the long cartridge doesn’t have that much more velocity, maybe more pressure though. I have a Taylor’s 38 special for the Remington Navy and it will chamber the 357 but the bullet protrudes. A further seating of the bullet could be done. And probably with black powder or Trail Boss it wouldn’t matter.

Looks like a nice revolver.
I have a .31 revolver too. But since I had other .32s I didn’t try to get a .32 cartridge cylinder for it.

Looks like a nice revolver.
I have a .31 revolver too. But since I had other .32s I didn’t try to get a .32 cartridge cylinder for it.
I got this as a whole meal deal. I load 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 38 Special, 38 long and short Colt. I have a Colt in .31 but the 32 cylinders have been discontinued. Hard to find.
They make a 22 conversion for all the Colts and Remingtons. But they aren’t cheap. I have one in my Remington Navy. I have one for a Colt, either for a 44 or 36. I’m looking for a short barrel Colt Navy to put the 22 in it.

I have some 85gr .312" Hornady XTPs left over from my mouse fart 762x39 experiements.... Send me a PM with your shipping info and I'll drop some in the mail to you

One other thought is to use a round ball mold or a Lee 0 buck mold to use round balls. The Lee O buck mold usually casts balls with around a .313” diameter too. You can literally just push the balls in by hand into the cases. You may not even need to resize the cases. Just reprime, then use a powder dipper to dribble in a tiny bit of powder push in the ball. Maybe a dab of Crisco just in case and your ready to go. The round ball loads were popular for making low power gallery indoor rounds too.

One other thought is to use a round ball mold or a Lee 0 buck mold to use round balls. The Lee O buck mold usually casts balls with around a .313” diameter too. You can literally just push the balls in by hand into the cases. You may not even need to resize the cases. Just reprime, then use a powder dipper to dribble in a tiny bit of powder push in the ball. Maybe a dab of Crisco just in case and your ready to go. The round ball loads were popular for making low power gallery indoor rounds too.
You know, I hadn’t thought of that. I’ve seen 45 Colt done that way. I’ll try it.
Thanks

Back