375 SSB loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
i am planning to start working with the 375 grain SSB i am looking for data and or opinions. Does anyone know its BC? so here are my ideas and correct me if i am wrong with either starting or stopping points i would love to see data from others too!

AA-5744 start at 39 grains and stop at 42grains

AA-2015 start at 65grains work up to 70grains :D RW has mentioned 67 grains as a balanced load in an article

VV-N120 i was thinking starting at 55 grains stopping at 60

reloader-7 starting at 55 and stopping at 60

someone did a early accutrigger review a while back and they were using 5744 and the 340DC and the 375ssb with just dippers :? was that you RW? i got that printed now i gotta hunt for it

The current Savage printed manual limit is 300 gr. bullets-- you do know that? :shock:

Same answer as before-- I wouldn't use anything but 2015. Ballistically, you won't get anywhere near a 300 gr. Barnes Original. If that isn't enough recoil to please you, then it just isn't. :cry:

how will the barnes original fare in a less than optimal shot (raking/bone)? you mentioned the 375 & 325SSB along with tbe barnes mz 250 & 300 and hunterman boolets 287grain and the 250/300 XTPs in an article about bullets for deer hunting but there was no mention of not using with smokeless? :? if they are not allowed by savage then why put them in the article? :? and you have several articles listing up to 350 grain bullets using AA-2015 with graphs :? sure have me wondering? can you explain? i found the article i had printed you reviewed on chuck hawks site and it mentions AA-5744 and 340 grain deadcenters :?

savageml10-2 said:
i am planning to start working with the 375 grain SSB i am looking for data and or opinions. Does anyone know its BC? so here are my ideas and correct me if i am wrong with either starting or stopping points i would love to see data from others too!

AA-5744 start at 39 grains and stop at 42grains

AA-2015 start at 65grains work up to 70grains :D RW has mentioned 67 grains as a balanced load in an article

VV-N120 i was thinking starting at 55 grains stopping at 60

reloader-7 starting at 55 and stopping at 60

Dave I shot 68 grains with great success in the past. It gave me right at 2050 ftp and was a very accurate load. It dropped a very large hog in its tracks in Crossville last spring. I could not find any combination to beat it. As for the fps, that?s about as fast as you want to push pure lead otherwise you might as well be using paint balls. As for the aforementioned recoil, yes it?s stout but it?s not as bad as any of the slug guns we grew up with here in Indiana. I?ll be working on a few new loads using LBT hard cast bullets in the off season to see if I can get similar groups with a bit more velocity and that wonderful recoil. :yeah:

savageml10-2 said:
how will the barnes original fare in a less than optimal shot (raking/bone)?

Thanks for the phone call.

Extremely well; that is why Fred Barnes made them and they remain to this day a popular African plains game bullet.

As far as the over two year old article you referenced, yes-- I tested with scoop loads and 340 DC, long before the 300 gr. limit was imposed by Savage. The 5744 load mentioned at that time was a reduced charge, and the N120 load that was scooped was also a reduced charge: producing about 1410 fps w/ N120 at that time.

hmmm what scoop did u use for the N120? also i am curious at say 1800-2000 fps with its bc what it is would or could this be an elk,moose,bear type load? I know savage says no but in the interest of discussion only?

hmm i wonder what velocities that 50-60 grains of 2015 did you ever chrony any loads that low Pat? :)

savageml10-2 said:
hmm i wonder what velocities that 50-60 grains of 2015 did you ever chrony any loads that low Pat? :)

I did shoot several shots with 65 grains and it shot well. I did not get to chrony it though. I would think the higher 1800 to low 1900 fps range.

Latest posts

Back