.38 conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drax05

Reaction score
Uberti Leech & Rigdon conversion I did couple years back, hardly fired it, however with a lot of time to spend "on farm" pulled it out two days ago and put 5-6 cyl. worth down range. Knew it would shoot high and replaced all my front sights on my 1860 conversions years ago, and will on this L&R this week. (4-5" high at 10 yd.) Not too bad on accuracy, can hit SASS steel, but have to shoot "below his belly" .357 hollow base wadcutter down a .371 bbl. is a loose 3" or so group. Anyhow, when the .357 HBWC are gone, will order heel based. Trail boss loads, however will use 3F BP next loads. Just fun to shoot. And it appears I have plenty of time before the garden gets up and needs attention......Hotter load may tighten up HB lead group, but I really don't need to push it.
Photo on 4-20-20 at 9.55 AM #3.jpg

I did the same thing with several of the Uberti revolvers owned, 49's, 51's, 60's. The most and least expensive to shoot was an 1849 Pocket Revolver converted to .22 LR, this is a squirrel, rabbit killing machine.

15312227_2.jpg Colt_1849_Pocket_Model 22 conversion.jpg

One on the left is our original .32 rimfire conversion. The one on the right is my Uberti .22 LR conversion.

time.moves.jpg

picked up a Uberti 48 Baby last year at Tulsa show for very little and had intended to get a .22 Kirst drop in, looking for a sale......probably replace my saddle bag pistol with the .22 conversion. you say it is pretty accurate? Have to move or re-notch hammer sight? or just "hold" it? Thanks

Uberti Leech & Rigdon conversion I did couple years back, hardly fired it, however with a lot of time to spend "on farm" pulled it out two days ago and put 5-6 cyl. worth down range. Knew it would shoot high and replaced all my front sights on my 1860 conversions years ago, and will on this L&R this week. (4-5" high at 10 yd.) Not too bad on accuracy, can hit SASS steel, but have to shoot "below his belly" .357 hollow base wadcutter down a .371 bbl. is a loose 3" or so group. Anyhow, when the .357 HBWC are gone, will order heel based. Trail boss loads, however will use 3F BP next loads. Just fun to shoot. And it appears I have plenty of time before the garden gets up and needs attention......Hotter load may tighten up HB lead group, but I really don't need to push it.
View attachment 1853
Like the pistol...love that holster. Nice work!

Thanks! May have to re-bone when I put on the taller front sight. On my holsters for the 60's, taped a long sliver of wood the height and width of the front sight back to the cylinder, then wrapped in "cling" wrap before boning in (with thumb) the damp holster. Works great if you ever have to do it.

The more I look at your Uberti Leech & Rigdon conversion revolver the more I like it. Damn now another toy needed ..... :cheers:

time.moves.jpg

That is a very good looking revolver. Having one converted to BP .38 cartridges kinda makes my mouth water.

Glad you like it. New front sight, adjustable arbor and pawl plunger and spring installed. All this has been done to my 1860's over the years. Use hollow base wadcutters, but have heel base bullets coming, and will final file front sight then. Shouldn't need to take much off. Did re-bone holster barrel channel for new front sight. Will carry this while on the tractor, to defend against Armadillo attacks...........
Photo on 5-22-20 at 9.36 AM #2.jpg

Glad you like it. New front sight, adjustable arbor and pawl plunger and spring installed. All this has been done to my 1860's over the years. Use hollow base wadcutters, but have heel base bullets coming, and will final file front sight then. Shouldn't need to take much off. Did re-bone holster barrel channel for new front sight. Will carry this while on the tractor, to defend against Armadillo attacks...........
View attachment 2053
well, couple weeks ago got .372 heeled based bullets, decided cutting down .38 spcl. was more trouble than it was worth to me, so ordered .38 Colt brass also. Loaded up 25 rds with TrailBoss and 50 with 3F. The difference in accuracy was much better than i expected. Shooting HBWC at 10 yds (about where most SASS steel is) produced about a 3" spread, the heel based bullets made one jagged hole! I can't be more pleased with it. I don't think one can get enough powder safely in this case to expand the skirts of the .357 hollow base bullets. The correct bullet going down the barrel gave the correct results, imagine that. Anyhow, have couple hundred .38 spcl. HBWCs' the wife can practice with in her S&W mod. 19........ I liked the loads as is, so had to file front sight down a tad, and widen the hammer notch rear sight a little to the right. This was already my favorite SA. Now i can get head shots on those attacking armadillo's

Latest posts

Back