.430 bullets in Savage ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsekf

Reaction score
New to Savage ML's.

I have a bunch of .430 bullets, will I be happier with the Harvester green sabot or the MMP green sabot?

Bill

Its unlikely either will group well in the Savage. .452s and .458s usually deliver the best accuracy.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. Will not waste my time with the 44 bulletts.

Start out with these sabots and bullets.

Harvester Black Crushrib or MMP Orange sabot with .458 bullets. Remington and Hornady 300gr 458s are cheap and effective. I prefer the .458-325gr FTX.

MMP Short black or Harvester RED Crushrib sabots with .452 bullets. Occasionally the MMP HPH-12 sabot works also if the others are too tight.

Avoid boat tail and soft lead bullets....at least for starters.

I prefer vv N110 powder with 275gr or less bullets but 4759 is fine also. N110 makes great fps per grain even with lighter charges and its VERY reliable.

I prefer vv N120 or Reloder 7 with 300gr or 325gr bullets. Both are very reliable with a 300gr and make very mild pressures considering how fast they will move a 300gr bullet.

GM54-120 said:
Start out with these sabots and bullets.

Harvester Black Crushrib or MMP Orange sabot with .458 bullets. Remington and Hornady 300gr 458s are cheap and effective. I prefer the .458-325gr FTX.

MMP Short black or Harvester RED Crushrib sabots with .452 bullets. Occasionally the MMP HPH-12 sabot works also if the others are too tight.

Avoid boat tail and soft lead bullets....at least for starters.

I prefer vv N110 powder with 275gr or less bullets but 4759 is fine also. N110 makes great fps per grain even with lighter charges and its VERY reliable.

I prefer vv N120 or Reloder 7 with 300gr or 325gr bullets. Both are very reliable with a 300gr and make very mild pressures considering how fast they will move a 300gr bullet.

what he said!

Here are a few other things i would suggest for your first time out.

Go to some private property and shoot without the distractions of a public range. IMO its more relaxing without a range master calling cease fires.

Take a friend and another gun or two you can shoot while the barrel cools down. Make a day out of it and try not to feel rushed.

Only take out 3 weighed powder vials, 3 sabots and 3 bullets on the table at at time. Keep the others in your range box until you are ready to shoot another group.

Try using iron sites at 25 and 50 yards from a solid rest. This will eliminate the possibility of any issues with a scope. After you are happy with the results get a good set of bases/rings and mount your scope.

Luke at http://www.smokelessmz.com has a nice supply of upgrades and other items you might like. Many of us use him for the "hot ticket" items. IMO the Murphy and Farrel one piece bases make mounting a scope a bit easier. Two piece bases might limit you scope choices and desired eye relief a little bit.

Latest posts

Back