435 grain SSB??????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
wow the bc is so high on this!!!!!!!!i wonder what powders to start playing with? i wanna go with AA2015 starting at 55 grains ideas?????????????

savageml10-2 said:
wow the bc is so high on this!!!!!!!!i wonder what powders to start playing with? i wanna go with AA2015 starting at 55 grains ideas?????????????
The current max bullet wt is 300gs. I don't know why the reduced wt now. If the 300g limit were planned from the beginning I suspect 32 twist would have been chosen or possibly even as fast as 28 twist. Note that 36 twist in the SMI stabilizes virtually every 300g bullet I've tried. I do believe the Sav will have no problem stabilizing a bullet this wt if it is a 452 or 458 and not unbelievably long. I think that is a good starting powder/wt. I wouldn't rule out Varget, IMR-4895,H-322, VV-133 or 135. If the game is white tails, I would consider staying in the 300g bullet range as a compromise between velocity/trajectory/bullet performance/pressure/recoil/etc. . If I were to venture into this territory, I would contact RB who has already traveled this road.

i was curious as RW has shot 350 grainers this could be a one heck of a long range load and as it is pure lead its a .452 and pure lead

I?ve got some Barnes .458 350gr. MZ?s but have only shot one or two with 2015?I might play with them a bit before Crossville if my hard cast loads do not play out.

well the more i look at it its a quigley load for a savage BUT obviously not for the meek :shock: i am guessing 1800-1900 fps and with a .342 bc very very comparable with a 45-120 sharps for power yet flatter shooting with more retained energy downrange i dunno but someone has to have gotten near this weight before any ideas folks!!!

well sure, i have shot 500 grain lead bullets out of my savage.
here is what you need to know. its the same as with any muzzleloader shooting big heavy bullets. big charge of slow powder.
i would say with the 435 gr. bullet to start out with about 80 grains of imr-4350 and work your way up. recoil is going to be heavy, i am not recoil sensitive so it may not bother you either. you might try imr-4064 with this grain weight of bullet also. most of my shooting was done with the 500 grain weight. accuracy should be good.
sb

Latest posts

Back