VV N120 - Woodman Patriot + 225 Fury

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idn713

Reaction score
So I put in an order for a Patriot (1:18 McGowan, standard breech) and my intention is to use this gun with the light smokeless loads suggested on the Woodman site.

With that said, does anyone have any experience with pushing a Fury 225 star tip with a light blue crush rib? I’m wondering if I should just start right at 57 grains of n120.

Hoping someone might have real world results along with perhaps some velocity info.

I do not shoot n120 though I do believe it's a good powder for the rifle, I shoot imr 4198 if you have that, I would try to start at 55 grains and work up to 57, I think somewhere around 56.5 or 57 The Patriot is a very lightweight rifle I'm sure you realize that and whether you shoot imr or n120 just being able to consistently handle the recoil signature of that load will be a little bit of a challenge, the Patriot being able to shoot light smokeless loads is a very unique rifle the only one of its kind I think available here in America a lot of other smokeless platforms out there but not one in that weight class that handles like that,, I'm sure a big fan if it's not obvious I love mine! Consistent half inch rifle.and the 225 fury 40 in the light blue load of 57 gr of imr4198 has become a new law of science to me. It is my load in The Patriot and the Woodman omega's and in around a dozen other rifles that I shoot even a lot of my heavier shank barrels.

I do not shoot n120 though I do believe it's a good powder for the rifle, I shoot imr 4198 if you have that, I would try to start at 55 grains and work up to 57, I think somewhere around 56.5 or 57 The Patriot is a very lightweight rifle I'm sure you realize that and whether you shoot imr or n120 just being able to consistently handle the recoil signature of that load will be a little bit of a challenge, the Patriot being able to shoot light smokeless loads is a very unique rifle the only one of its kind I think available here in America a lot of other smokeless platforms out there but not one in that weight class that handles like that,, I'm sure a big fan if it's not obvious I love mine! Consistent half inch rifle.and the 225 fury 40 in the light blue load of 57 gr of imr4198 has become a new law of science to me. It is my load in The Patriot and the Woodman omega's and in around a dozen other rifles that I shoot even a lot of my heavier shank barrels.
Very nice, appears I’ll have to keep the eyes peeled for the IMR as well. Do you have a velocity on the 57 grains with the 225? And or noticed temp sensitivity?

Currently I shoot a paramount with a pretty stout load and while I know it’s a heavy rifle, it still kicks like a bear. I’m not a super recoil sensitive guy so it’s never bothered me much. Just gotta know your limits at the range.

In most of the rifles that I shoot that load and averages around 2350 most of that shooting was in Southeast Texas I have recently moved to Southwest Arkansas no extreme temperatures so I can't speak much to temperature stability issues,I have shot a paramount alot,,I think your patriots recoil signature will be a little different and maybe even harder to handle the rifles probably going to have a little bit more jump up straight up not only recoil back you just need to be really focused when you're shooting on the bench with anchoring and staying with a visual follow thru of course in the field you won't notice that hunting. I have become so addicted to that load it's hard for me to consider shooting a different load but I do believe withi n 120 you would find the same weight as far as grains I don't mean that I just mean I think you would find n 120 performing just as well.

I never pursue high velocity myself, only accuracy but I consistently take that load out to 400 and 450 yd and put it on my palm your Patriot will be a very consistent rifle capable of shots out to 300 plus and it ranges less than that you will be very confident

Appreciate the recoil advice! Part of the reason I seem married to the n120 is it’s listed as an acceptable powder with the standard woodman plug and it’s available online. I can’t seem to find imr 4198, H4198, or Reloader 7 anywhere. I’d just as soon do the 57 grains of 4198 but just forecasting what will be feasible to find and keep on hand.

So I put in an order for a Patriot (1:18 McGowan, standard breech) and my intention is to use this gun with the light smokeless loads suggested on the Woodman site.

With that said, does anyone have any experience with pushing a Fury 225 star tip with a light blue crush rib? I’m wondering if I should just start right at 57 grains of n120.

Hoping someone might have real world results along with perhaps some velocity info.
You are spot on with that load. We have lots of customers shooting that load with great success in accuracy and performance on game.

Mark just finished rebuilding my Paramount with a 1:18 twist Brux barrel. I really like it and hunted with it the past 20 or so days in Wisconsin. I use N120, the fury 225 at.402”, the Harvester light blue crush rib sabot, federal 210 (large rifle) primers. I haven’t finished my load development testing, my load of 62 grains is shooting just under 1 MOA. I’ll be tweaking it in January in Florida to try to make it smaller. I’m a runt and recoil is insignificant to me with this 11.75 lb gun. Sighted 2” high at 100 yds, I’m dead on at 200 yds and 12” low at 300 yds. I didn’t set up my chronograph for this load development. I’ll be testing 200 gr XTP’s, 195 gr Barnes Expanders, 175 gr Barnes/Knight Red Hots, and my cast 240 gr lead alloy. I’ll also test with N110.

Mark just finished rebuilding my Paramount with a 1:18 twist Brux barrel. I really like it and hunted with it the past 20 or so days in Wisconsin. I use N120, the fury 225 at.402”, the Harvester light blue crush rib sabot, federal 210 (large rifle) primers. I haven’t finished my load development testing, my load of 62 grains is shooting just under 1 MOA. I’ll be tweaking it in January in Florida to try to make it smaller. I’m a runt and recoil is insignificant to me with this 11.75 lb gun. Sighted 2” high at 100 yds, I’m dead on at 200 yds and 12” low at 300 yds. I didn’t set up my chronograph for this load development. I’ll be testing 200 gr XTP’s, 195 gr Barnes Expanders, 175 gr Barnes/Knight Red Hots, and my cast 240 gr lead alloy. I’ll also test with N110.
And ya just got those 195g Lehigh monolithics that look like cast conicals with the round shoulder/wide meplat to test too. Lots of fun on the range ahead

UPS delivered all of 'em a few minutes ago
The USPS Stork was supposed to deliver a new baby here today, but I just caught the notice in tracking in time where the local PO had " fill-in " ppl delivering mail today & I guarantee they sat at the end of the pavement 200yds from the front fence & either never looked left or were too lazy to drive the 200yds to see the address on the fence. So they flagged the pkg " return to sender, incorrect address ". I got a hold of the PO & fortunately someone answered their phone, thats a real crap shoot in itself, & they will bring it to the house tomorrow. I have a bullet order on the way too.

The Patriot can be a little bit of a challenge on the bench and the bags But it sure is nice in the field,, 55 grains is a good place to start I still think about 99.9% of the time you're going to find that 57 grain to be the Sweet Spot,, I think it's an excellent training exercise to shoot a rifle that light with a little bit of heavy recoil it's going to make you a better shooter with your heavy rifles

The Patriot can be a little bit of a challenge on the bench and the bags But it sure is nice in the field,, 55 grains is a good place to start I still think about 99.9% of the time you're going to find that 57 grain to be the Sweet Spot,, I think it's an excellent training exercise to shoot a rifle that light with a little bit of heavy recoil it's going to make you a better shooter with your heavy rifles
A lightweight rifle with heavy recoil will let you know when your form ain't right.

I use N120........the Harvester light blue crush rib sabot, federal 210 (large rifle) primers.....I’ll be testing 200 gr XTP’s, 195 gr Barnes Expanders, 175 gr Barnes/Knight Red Hots..

I'm anxiously awaiting your results of using N120 with some lighter bullets. Thanks.

I hate to say it but when i shoot an upper load in this light weight NEF Handi-rifle. I about p in my post toasties when the recoil hits my busted up shoulder. Usually happens when i am testing land riders to see if i can get something to work n not keyhole on me at 100 yards

I hate to say it but when i shoot an upper load in this light weight NEF Handi-rifle. I about p in my post toasties when the recoil hits my busted up shoulder. Usually happens when i am testing land riders to see if i can get something to work n not keyhole on me at 100 yards
To much recoil on my shoulder is not a good thing. To me, the Scouts has a pretty good balance, not real heavy and not to light.

I've used up to 58 gr. N120 with the Northern Precision Pin Points 270gr. bullet in my Patriot. Recoil is certainly stout but manageable with that load. What is far worse on the shoulder and my nose is a 77gr. weighed load of BH209 with the same bullet. That was just not fun at all to shoot, but also about 600 fps slower than with N120.

Latest posts

Back