44 mag Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
Haven't had much time to get out with my Knight muzzy, but I did take my H&R 44 mag Talo Trapper out this morning,,, which turned out to be my good luck charm. After a couple of calls on my "can" deer call, this 10 point came in to about 7 yards. Dropped him where he stood with a 240 grain Winchester Dual Bond.
DSC_0022.jpg

very nice deer. Congratulations on the buck. Nice little rifle too.

those H&R .44 mags work well, don't they? in MS, they are legal for our "primitive" season, and since I got one that's all i've used. it's light, handy, low recoil, quiet report. mine has a 4x leupold rimfire scope sighted dead on at 100 yds with my handloads shooting 240 g XTP's.

so far this year i've killed a doe with it at 40 yds or so:

hrdeer.jpg

results were impressive, i did not recover the bullet. i consider it a 125 yd and under carbine.

the groups on mine start to wander when the barrel heats up. i suppose its a problem with the forearm contacting the barrel, but not really sure. my solution was just to sight it in for the cold bore shot, which repeats into 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 100 yds if i'm willing to wait long enough for the barrel to cool down completely between shots.

My friend purchased a Henry lever action Rifle in .44 magnum caliber. We were shooting it. Nice rifle. I've hunted with a .44 magnum handgun but never had a rifle in that caliber.

I really like rifles chambered in pistol cartridges. I have a winchester lever rifle in .357 that is tons of fun to shoot. I figure if another comes along in .44 i'll pick it up.

Those H&R's, Rossi's, and Nefs are great rifles for the money. I have a very accurate one in .223 and my good friend has a few of them including one in .500 s&w

Back