.44 versus .452 300 xtp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
I have found the .44 300 XTP at Wally World, but not the .452.
Many on this board think the .452 is so much better than the .44. I was wondering what would be so bad about the .44 cal.

I am talking of course of a .50 cal and I shoot an Omega. I used a .45
300 Hornady ballistic tip to hunt whitetails last season with great success.

However, I am now looking for better accuracy. Most shots would be 75-125 yards.

Let me know your comments.

Thanks

If your looking for accuracy stay away form the .44 cal or a mag version of the XTP. It just isn't as accurate as the .45 cal bullet.

I have shot both the .44 and the .45 300 xtp.

Which does your gun like and shoots the best in it?

Both work very well on game. Shoot the one that shoots the best in your gun. DW was right about the Mags... stay away from them.

Another difference I have found is that the .44 cal 300 gr XTP with a green Crush Rib Sabot was a very tight fit in my gun, whereas the .45 cal with a black Crush Rib fit quite well. It seems a little backwards that a .452 bullet would be looser than a .429 bullet, but the difference is in the sabots - the overall dimension of the .45 cal combination being slightly smaller.
As far as accuracy was concerned, I found them both to be about equal in my gun.

Latest posts

Back