.45 cal Jukar load.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtybird552

Reaction score
I recently inherited my first side lock. It is a older .45 cal Jukar Spain Kentucky long rifle. It is in fantastic shape. After doing some research, I learned that these were imported by Cva. My question is, what is a safe load to hunt with out of this rifle? I use 777 in my knight disc. Is 777 safe to use in the Jukar? Can I shoot the same .45 sabot's out of the Jukar?

Yes you can use 777 powder. Be sure your fire channel is nice and clear. As for max loads, I had a .45 Jukar pistol. And as I remember in the book that came with it, it discussed rifles too, the max load was 80 grains of powder 2f. Now they were probably talking black powder. But I would start loads at 50 grains and then work up. If I get to 80 grains and its still accurate, I would stop there. The older rifles never were rated at more then 100 grains, no matter who made them. That should be a fun rifle to shoot. My Jukar horse pistol I used to shoot 20 grains and a ball and it was surprisingly accurate.

I worked up a load for a friend's .45 Jukar KY rifle and it really liked 70 gr. Schutzen or Goex 3f BP with a patched round ball. It was a flintlock though and a really good shooter. You didn't say if yours is percussion or flint. 777 isn't really compatible with flintlocks but lot's of folks shoot it successfully in caplocks. Have fun.

Sorry, it is percussion. I have a knight disk .45 that I hunt with. I would like to use the same powder/bullets. That way I won't have to change what's in my possible bag from hunt to hunt.

Dirtybird552 said:
Sorry, it is percussion. I have a knight disk .45 that I hunt with. I would like to use the same powder/bullets. That way I won't have to change what's in my possible bag from hunt to hunt.

Not sure what the twist is for the caplock, but the flinter is around 1:60 or 66, round ball twist. If you have 1:48 it might shoot your sabot loads just fine, otherwise you would probably get the best results with PRB only.

Latest posts

Back