50 cal smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about getting one of my older 700MLs converted to .50 cal smokeless but I have some questions.
What advantage would the .50 have over the .45 when it comes to smokeless? I can push a 250-300 gr bullet at 2300-2400 fps out of my .45.
Is there a particular reason for the .50 smokeless. convince me.

I like both.

The 50 has a lot of projectiles available for shorter distances. I like my 50 caliber 1-24 twist Brux with a 1.125" shank. I have shot some good groups with the new 340 grain Hornady BoreDrivers.

If you are shooting beyond 250 yards, the 45 has the advantage of bullets with a better BC and much higher velocities.

I have shot a 300-grain bullet at 3378 fps in my 45 caliber 1-20 twist Brux with a 1.250 " shank. The thinner barrel of the 50 is not capable of that velocity, based on my experience.

If I had to make a choice between the two, it would be the 45. The energy of the 45 can approach that of a 338 Lapua.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of my older 700MLs converted to .50 cal smokeless but I have some questions.
What advantage would the .50 have over the .45 when it comes to smokeless? I can push a 250-300 gr bullet at 2300-2400 fps out of my .45.
Is there a particular reason for the .50 smokeless. convince me.
I think, imho, that the best reason to build a 50sml is, you dont already have a .50sml. Just my .02¢ (not adjusted for inflation)

Around 550 rounds at 100 yds and further last four weeks with a 50 cal smokless , there were things I was looking for but it was sure a lot more that I was surprised about ,the 45 has more range and more energy at further distances ,however the 50 is quite capable with the right bullet and for most hunting circumstances out to three and 400 yards very capable, in the accuracy department these two fast twist barrels I have shot will shoot beside almost all 45 barrels I've ever shot I've got the less than MOA bullet count of individual bullets up to almost 18 now I don't know that I've done that with the 45 Barrel in a while I can sure see having a second rifle,, like Michigan muzzy mentioned and again in today's lack of supplies everywhere we turn and bullet powder primer Etc shortages at fast twist 50 cal makes sense I think if you haven't really shot one you just don't know,, just as capable,, just a little different personality than a 45 oh ,,and I'm not off of the 45 bandwagon either I like both very much,,need both or ether,, I appreciate the topic!

Latest posts

Back