..... 45 cal Remington 1911 R1 ........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:Questuon: 

Good morning all.
I need any info good or bad and your opinions or first hand knowledge concerning this 1911. I  am thinking of buying one in the very near future.
Any info will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

I have a passing knowledge, but I doubt it is of much use. 

My father's Foreign Legion Post 24 offered a raffle on a .45 caliber 
Remington 1911 R-1, Special 200 anniversary edition. It is pictured below. 

Save%20remington_zps1ttk22us.png

Normal models may be easily found for about 670.00 retail. I can still find some 200 Anniversary 
models for about 750.00. (Gander Mountain is an easy one here)

The Post sold 150 raffle tickets for the pistol at $20 each to raise money for the Post. 
The last I knew, they had sold them all. 

I am waiting for Dad to tell me if we got lucky. He bought five tickets. I bought two. I've never 
won a raffle. I might go into shock if I won this one. Besides, even if I did, I would have a tough time. 
Dad would likely make it difficult for me to leave his house with it in my possession. :)

I had the opportunity to shoot both a Springfield RO and a Remington 1911 R1 at an outdoor range. I chose to buy the Springfield RO.
My friend's Remington had a few magazines of a 45 through it. It was then cleaned before I used it. The trigger was crisp with just a bit of creep The slide, bushing and barrel were quite tight, usually an indication of good manufacturing. Even the grip safety was snug, enough so that is stuck on the in position when released after a shot. A little jiggling (the gun, not me) and the grip safety moved back into a safe position.
The finish seemed cheap to me. It already, within a few months, started to chip and rub off.
Accuracy off of sand bags was good.

The Springfield Range Officer also was tight and seemed to be the better of the two to resist abrasion. The trigger was very nice. The RO was better in accuracy at 10 and 25 yards.

I bought an RO after this shooting session and I have been happy with it ever since.
Ron

Ray, I have been a fan of Remington firearms since 1967 when I got my first Model 51 at a pawn shop. It was a great company. That doesn't apply anymore. They have been turning out sloppily-made products for several years now.

My advice is to pass on anything made by Remington in the last 8 years or so.

If you want a Remington 1911, get a surplus US Govt one. They are fine weapons albeit expensive on the used market.

Well gents, I checked a few places, 4 to be exact and the price ranged from $900.00 to $645.00. I bought the one for 645.00.
It has dove tail front and rear sights with white dots, a matte finish, 2 mags, walnut grips with diamond checkering. Nothing fancy. I twisted, pushed, pulled, jiggled and squeezed but couldn't get and noise out of it. With my experience with carrying guns over my 34 years of law enforcement I have found that all brand new guns are tight for a good while and in time they all get loose. IMHO
I'll let you guys know how I like it after I pick it up and shoot it.
Thanks for the replies.
Ray..........

I wish you good fortune with your new 1911. As with any firearm like this, I hope you never have to use it in a crisis.
Ron

My 1911 collection includes a Kimber and two Ruger 1911s. One is a full size SR1911 and the other is a SR1911 Commander. I have shot the Remington and did not like it, hope it works out for you. A 1911 is a very enjoyable gun to shoot and a 230 gn bullet is bad, period!

I've read good reviews but don't have the Remington.
I have KIMBER and Colt Gold Cup.
Well, when one wants the very best.
Just sayin'. :sunny:

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/gun-review-remington-r1-1911

I try to read all the on line reviews about a firearm I can to prevent the "wish I had
read the reviews" syndrome.
My suggestion would be to look hard at Kimber.
But my views are skewed by 50 + years of shooting handguns, and participating in handgun competition.
You might also consider I am personal friends with Massad Ayoob and we speak on the
phone from time to time.
I've also put on three training seminars with Mass.
Mass and I put on a dog and pony show at O.P.O.T.A. where I out shot him.
Again.
Just sayin'.

I was also trained in long range rifle shooting (sniper training) by the Smith
and Wesson Academy and Carlos Hathcock. ( r. i. p. )
And one <a href='/tags/ell' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #ell'>#ell</a> of a lot more!  :king:

By the way. I had three Springfield TRP .45 autos and all three were complete
junk jambomatics.

Expensive stainless steel JUNK!

They all went back to Springfield and all were returned WORSE than when I sent
them back.
JUNK!

The galling in the rails was awful. Bang, oh, chit!
Tap, rack bang, oh chit!
I used the Springfield recommended rail lube, no lube, other lubes, graphite, 
bang, oh chit!
Finally got the gun shop to shut me up by refunding the price of the Springfield 
on the Colt Gold Cup.

Humph! Take that!

I think five or six Springfield .45 autos would make a decent boat anchor.

When I was shooting p p c I shot 1000 rounds a month in practice.

I once put 7 rounds from a Smith 4506, stock, into the K-5 of a B-27 target from........................................

ready?

125 yards. Witnessed.
Of course that was from the prone position.

I don't compete anymore since being disabled from police work with broken
back <a href='/tags/4' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #4'>#4</a>.

patocazador said:
My advice is to pass on anything made by Remington in the last 8 years or so.
I worked for 5 years in the Gun Library at Cabelas after retiring from by regular job. Quit in 2012, beside being their "Antique Firearm Consultant" for a half dozen stores I took care of the warranty work. Remington was one we sent back a lot, hand guns, rifles and shotguns with sloppy workmanship. That was upsetting as I have always had this brand and never had any issues.

Do as "patocazador" had suggested.

:cheers: :cheers: 
Just wanted to say that my Remington 1911 R1 is a nice shooting 45. I've put around 1000 rds thru it without any problems. Only ones I did have was with BLAZER ammo. I shoot nothing but Remington 230 grain FMJ AMMO that I buy in bulk.
I just now picked up another pistol but this time it's a Colt 1911 Gov. model. It's a direct descendant of the original Colt M1911. This one has only about 300 rds thru it so far.
No problem with the Remington gents.

Ray.................

I think five or six Springfield .45 autos would make a decent boat anchor.

RIGHT. I had THREE in a row that were jam-o-matics.

JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock Island cheap one is far better.

I have COLTS. Gold Cup actually with heavy springs to shoot hardball.

jeager106 said:
Rock Island cheap one is far better.
 We have several car guns by Rock Island 1911's both in 9MM. A Colt Gold Cup and a Colt Commander both in 9MM for house/shop guns and carry a Sig P938 same caliber. When you have over 10K of this caliber that's the one you stay with.

Kentucky Colonel said:
It is heartening to see several of you with Colt Gold Cups, too. 
But, mine is in .45 and I enjoy it.

I shot a Gold Cup in 38 Super at combat matches for years just because of getting tried of others picking up my good 45 ACP brass. Very controllable and hard hitting on bowling pins.

Springfield Range Officer (RO) has impressed me as one of the best 1911 buys out there. It is accurate, dependable and has a very nice trigger. In my hands, it always outshoots my Colt XSE.
My favorite 1911 is a custom built, Commander sized pistol I bought from a fellow right at the outdoor range I belong to. It was a best case scenario in that I had a chance to shoot it several times before deciding on the purchase. The seller was an elderly man whose arthritis prohibited him from shooting comfortably. He used it for US Pistol Shooting Association competition.
I told him that I couldn't afford a custom 1911. However, he just wanted to sell it and gave me such a ridiculously low price that I gave him $100 more than his asking price. It  may seem silly to pay more than I had to, but I would have been embarrassed paying his asking price.

Here is a breakdown on the parts:

• Essex Arms frame with checkered frontstrap (40 lpi),
  • Nowlin barrel,
  • Ed Brown bushing, trigger, beavertail safety and recoil plug. 
  • It has a Cylinder & Slide sear, disconnector, tactical hammer, strut and mainspring. 
  • Wilson Combat slide,
  • slide lock and guide rod from Brownells.
  • Novak fixed sights.
  • Reduced recoil spring for quick cycling with a 3 lb trigger.  (I measured around 2.8 lbs)
  • Colt 1911 rubber black grips. 

Original owner used it for both IPSC and IDPA and considers the gun VERY accurate (much better than me). It my first, true “custom” 1911 style handgun.
comman11.jpg

Ron

RonC said:

comman11.jpg
  • Essex Arms frame with checkered frontstrap (40 lpi),
  • Nowlin barrel,
  • Ed Brown bushing, trigger, beavertail safety and recoil plug. 
  • It has a Cylinder & Slide sear, disconnector, tactical hammer, strut and mainspring. 
  • Wilson Combat slide,
  • slide lock and guide rod from Brownells.
  • Novak fixed sights.
  • Reduced recoil spring for quick cycling with a 3 lb trigger.  (I measured around 2.8 lbs)
  • Colt 1911 rubber black grips. 
Original owner used it for both IPSC and IDPA and considers the gun VERY accurate (much better than me). It my first, true “custom” 1911 style handgun.
Ron
You being in Golden CO. your close to Camp George West, the armor there was a comp. shooter and built many of the Essex framed guns in the Denver area for his friends (was a master dist. for them). With the list of parts used I won't be surprised if Sgt. Major York or one of his friends hadn't had something to do with the construction of your gun. They built 1911's and other match grade military firearms for over 40 years out of old Camp George West.

Yeah... Ron runs into US Pistol Shooting Association champs passing on their 
prized custom competition guns as they retire... And, of course, Buck knew the maker...

I don't have that kinda luck or karma. :D

He wanted you to have it, mate. He trusted you to use it well and respect it. 
You should be proud.

I see this from time to time... a 'passing of the torch' so to speak. 
Those with guns who can't keep them look to those they find responsible 
to take charge of them for the next generation. Its an honor.

Camp George West is just a few blocks away from my home. It primarily is a Colorado State Trooper facility, nowadays. There is an impressive 155 mm mobile howitzer out front of the facility. I wonder if my shoot-n-see targets would work with that gun. :D

Colonel, I don't know how high the gentleman ranked in IPSA competition, but he did help me with my grip for target shooting. I could see the frustration in his face concerning his increasing disability and inability to shoot without pain. My age was about 64 or 65 at the time and he could legitimately call me "boy."
Ron

Back in the 70's and 80's Old West Arms would hold monthly muzzleloading shoots there. Sgt. Major York was always supporting the shooting sport, loved muzzleloading and got the permission for these shoots at Camp George West. He promoted this event and with all funds collected from the shooters he gave it to Children's Hospital in Denver. York had been in 3 Wars and had the bad luck of being a POW in each one; WWII, Korea, Nam. The Special Forces units at Camp George West had a bronze awards for the different military units and those of special units that stood out above others (Spec. Forces, Seals, 101, etc.) hanging in the entry way. Some of the members of these units had the number of certified kills by there names. This is strange three of those (50 shown) were guys I knew. York (Army Special Forces), Capt. Ed Brown (Army 101) and Comm. Ben Thompson (Seal Team One). All three were excellent shots, loved shooting anything and were all buckskinners (muzzleloaders). The three taught more kids the sport than anyone in metro Denver through the 70's and 80's. If your gun was one built by one of these guys you got a gem, keep it safe and cared for Ron.

Latest posts

Back