45 Caliber 230g Gold Dot -- Sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
confederate rifleman said:

..............I'd be curious to see how these bullets expand , at the same velocity, fired from a sabot. And maybe both ways until they fail. Which survived the higher velocities? Then the question would be answered..............

....... what I believe is happening is when the expansion leaves the ogive and progresses down the shank/ bearing surface of the bullet. Thats when the jacket gets weakened by the rifling. Doesnt happen with a sabot. So when velocities allow expansion to progress to that point, I think the bullet will hold together better if the jacket is unmarked by the rifling. Just a thought.

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

From rifle to bottles is 25 yard. Load is 80g ff triple seven powder, Poly wad, 230g Gold Dot bullet, Winchester pistol primer. This load clocked 1733 fps, and 1718 fps right at the bottles.

VIDEO

The destroyed first bottle was tossed toward the camera; just missed, and landed behind. Water splashed the camera lens. Second bottle was destroyed, and landed to the left of the horse maybe three feet. A piece of the bullet was there with. Another piece of the bullet was found about 10 feet in front of horse, a little off to the left side. The last two bottles were undamaged.

IMG_5275.JPG

Back