Federal 270g Copper 50 Caliber Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G_0234.jpg

billyboy*​

requested this bullet.

G_0240.jpg

From the rifle to the bottles is 25 yard. Powder charge is 80g Blackhorn

G_0235.jpg

VIDEO

The first two bottles were destroyed. The bullet bounced off the third bottle, and ended up in the grass about 20 feet to the side of the horse, and about 10 feet behind. The third, fourth, fifth, and sixth bottles were undamaged.

G_0247.jpg

G_0248.jpg

I don’t read a lot about bullet testing, and I’ve always used the same T/C (Hornady) 250-grain SST. As such, I don’t have any meaningful commentary.

So, I’ll offer this bit of fluff: that bullet sure is pretty, all peeled back like that! 😆

Ron, good testing
Your 1483 is not too far off BH209 load data for a 80grV charge, 50cal, 270gr bullet- 1549.

It’s always been difficult for many to place a bullets performance at a distance they are shooting as many people shoot different powder charges.

I did some playing at lunch and put it into a format that may be beneficial?
1) used actual data for 80grV, 100grV. & 120grV powder charges. Data is consistent at a 200 ft./s change per 20grV of powder. So, I carried it backwards to est. 60grV & 50grV.
2) I change the colors of each column to a lighter shade when the energy drop below 1000 FT/LBS.
3) I placed your 80 and 50grV charges at the appreciate muzzle velocities.
4) The 50grV bullet in your test did NOT perform - so we really don’t know at what velocity between your two test the bullet stops performing.
Thanks again for your testing.

836B19FE-BE8E-4242-9DB1-A9FA00A8EE5F.jpeg

Based on that data I would estimate that you need at least 100gV to shoot out to 150 yards. More if you want to go farther

Only way in would ever do beyond 100gV is if I had a recoil arrestor.

I would rather just use a bullet that expands at lower velocity. Cooper, at least with this bullet, needs speed.

Latest posts

Back