45 or 50?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadball

Reaction score
I will start off with saying I dont need another muzzleloader thats what the wife says but I want one. Okay so I have a nice TC system one 50 cal shoots great and is cheap to shoot with sabots and pistole bullets well you know what I mean anyhow I want a more modern inline, one that is easier to clean, shoots Blackhorn 209 and uses 209 primers and I was thinking a 45 since I have a 50 what do you suggest for an over the counter smoke pole thanks

I was just pondering the same thing over the weekend and bought another 50 off of GunBroker yesterday. I sold a T/C Renegade 54 cal last week to pay for the CVA Optima V2.

Bigger is usually better imo. As long as there's no caliber restrictions where you hunt either will do I would also look at availability of bullets or primers you plan on shooting ?

I think you have few real choices in .45 OTC guns. The Accura is the easiest to clean and budget friendlier than the other choices. The Paramount or a Knight Disc/ultralight/mountaineer are those other options.

I don't think there are a whole lot of options out there for .45 production models (modern in-line models). Would certainly depend on how much you want to spend. If you had deep pockets I would go for a smokeless .45 custom model, otherwise I would go with CVA.

I bought a used Omega .45. I’m happy with my decision. The .45 sits next to a .50 and a .54 muzzleloaders

When you get tired of them old T/C`s I have a name and address. LOL. Looking at these new CVA Accuras I don`t know if I like what I see, adjustable comb( I guess that could be useful),collapsible ramrod ? A little odd. I think I would prefer the older models. A .45 would be nice to have in the stable. There are some find choices out there.

CVA would have a real winner if they offered a Optima V2 45cal 1-22 with a standard .450x.458 land/groove. Offer it with the "youth buttstock" too. A rifle like that for a young beginner could carry him through most of his hunting life just by changing loads and the buttstock.

Latest posts

Back