45 Seneca

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my .45 Seneca put today. First outing since I got it. Whoever had it before already had it dialed in or I just got lucky. My first 3 shot group at 25 yards (lower target) went almost into the same hole! Just a tad liw and to the right. I moved the target out to 50 yards and moved the rear sight 2 clicks left. My 1st shot at the upper target hit at 9 o'clock- wow I didn't think it would move that far! I moved it back to wher it was and my 2nd shot just riight of the bull same as the 1st target. I raised the sight up 2 clicks and shot 3 more. The first 2 again were touching then I had that "flyer". Three shots at 50 yards at
1 1/8" open partridge sights - I'll take that any day of the week. I think to fine tune it to hit 12 o'clock may require tapping the front sight.load was 75 gr of Goex FFFg, cardboard overwad and maxiball. I tried 50 gr and at 25 yards they shot a 1" group.20231106_144247.jpg20231106_125111.jpg

I used to shoot maxi hunters in my first Seneca but I don’t shoot anything but patched balls these days. Best rifle T/C ever made as far as I’m concerned.
I agree. And its so light. A nice little hunting rifle. It does have a tendancy to punch you in the cheek when it goes off. Maybe though its because I'm a lefty.

Darn nice Bronko. That load will do the job on a whitetail for sure.

I wonder how that gun would do with a 180 grain or 200 grain XTP in a Harvester sabot. Either of those will likely eliminate the cheek slap.

Darn nice Bronko. That load will do the job on a whitetail for sure.

I wonder how that gun would do with a 180 grain or 200 grain XTP in a Harvester sabot. Either of those will likely eliminate the cheek slap.
Van I guess there's no harm in trying. I have a few hundred of the 200 gr XTPs and light blue CR sabots. I don't think they'll shoot any better but I'll give them a try. But I'll take the slap if it can shoot like this.

The 1-48 twist in the Seneca barrel is too slow for the 180 and 200 .40 calibers. Sorry to say, because both bullets are devastating on deer...
You might try 200 grain cast .45s.

Back