My little squirrel rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a chance to take my new to me .36 cal Seneca out today. Just shooting at 25 yards I shot both PRBs and MaxiBalls out of it using 35 gr of Goex FFFg. I only had time for a few shots because I was working with my Knight Mountaineer and had to get home to take my grandsons to speed training for football.
Anyway, the 3 shots with the PRBs were definitely not impressive. Patches were drill cloth and with the .350 RB were tight. I can possibly get them shooting better. However the MaxiBalls with the same 35 gr were really good (lubed with NASA lube and synthetic 2 cycle oil mixture). See attached targets.Seneca PRB.jpgSeneca Maxi.jpg

The squirrels are in trouble.

That Maxi Ball group is excellent Bronko. I'd bet you can equal it with round balls once you find the right patch thickness and load. Were you wiping the bore between shots?

Clem, just for giggles try 25gr of powder next time with the round balls.
You guys are right. I'm going to have to play with this until I find what it likes. That is if I can withstand the punishing recoil!

I've had a .36 flint "longrifle" for years and that was my dedicated squirrel rifle until I could no longer safely go out in the woods safely. Sadly, the best little squirrel rifle I ever had, but let get away from me, was a Traditions "Crockett" .32. I don't want to be called a liar so I won't mention it's accuracy. The pet load was 30 grns of 3F with a ticking patch. I do have another .32 (flint SMR) that looks to do at least as well. But the .36 SMR is my pet and has given me a few one hole groups at 44 yds. Not having hunted in 7 years and a worsening physical situation now keeps me from shooting as well as I once did. But still, like a blind pig finding an acorn, I do have good days and manage to keep those little .350" balls in a fairly tight cluster.

Your Seneca appears to really love those maxies but a little work on prb loads may astonish you. My .36 does wonders with 20 to 30 grains of 3F. There may be other loads that are "better" but the current loads are so precise I don't need any more searching.

The groves on most T/C guns are only .004" to .006". You may want to use a thinner material. Although what you're using must create a good gas seal, hence the recoil.

Good Luck!

Walt

I have shot .36 Seneca for yrs (near 40 yrs) and can tell you it will do one hole clovers @25 yards with .350 balls .015" to .020" Greased patches and 20-25 grains of Goex 3fffg powder ! Start at 15 grains then 20 then 25 ! You will find that 15 or 20 is all you need and will knock the heads off of squirrel at 25 yards . With the maxi balls it is ok to go 30-40 grains 3fffg but its too much for small game and better suited for coyote ! You will love the Square clearance sights on this rifle for fine resolution small game shooting ! Clean n dry between shots if you want the most out of it as the rifling is shallow !

Thanks guys. I have a bunch of preloads of 20, 25, and 30 gr to try.
I'm also going to use both drill cloth and pillow ticking for patch material

Latest posts

Back