458 Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteo

Reaction score
I was shooting today. I had 15 of each 5477, 45 grains, 44 grains, 43 grains. I was having a hard time getting 300 xtp and mmp 24 to group well using 45 grains. I had bought 500 loose 458 300 grain flat base jacketed hp and thought I would give them a try. I started with a mmp orange 458 sabot and 44 grains 5477 and win. 209. I was firing offhand leaning against my truck and noticed that I was getting a 4 inch group which with a 15 to 20 mph wind at 125 yards I thought was good. When I finished I was picking up sabots and noticed that all the black sabots were all in good shape nicely petaled out while what I found of the orange were just loose petals and never could find a base. I could not figure out what was happening other than the orange sabot petals are thinner and prone to tearing off? Is this out of line? The rounds were all loading with similar pressure needed to seat. Do I need to lighten my powder charge? I ran out of time and did not shoot withh 43 grains. My gun seems to like the 458 300s I would like to stick with them for the second half of our deer season.

peteo said:
I was firing offhand leaning against my truck and noticed that I was getting a 4 inch group which with a 15 to 20 mph wind at 125 yards I thought was good.

It is-- you'll naturally have a better feel with a steady rest and good range conditions, but what sabots look like means nothing to me at all. It just makes a lot more sense to read group size for accuracy than to worry about sabots, they aren't normally reusable anyway. Some of my best loads shear petals, some of my worst loads don't.

It's not that I'm ignorant or apathetic, it is just that I don't know and I don't care. :wink:

Randy, I was not intending to reuse the sabots I was just cleaning-up a little. I appreciate your fast reply as deer season opens on the 1st. I will stick with the 458 and 44-5477 I feel confident with it.

Hello, both my guns shoot .458 well. The best shooting bullet for me is the Barnes .458 300 X bullet... Great bc and obtainable online.

peteo said:
Randy, I was not intending to reuse the sabots I was just cleaning-up a little. I appreciate your fast reply as deer season opens on the 1st. I will stick with the 458 and 44-5477 I feel confident with it.

I was kidding a bit about sabot reuse. Okay, a lot.

I've not found any clear connection between sabot shearing and accuracy at all, and though have wasted a lot of time going it-- I've just wasted a lot of time.

If the sabot is driving itself though the bullet, that's a different story. But that I've only seen with boat tail based bullets, and a flat based .458 can take a lot.

The 300 gr. .458 Hornady hollow points (#4500) / MMP Orange sabots have been very good groupers for me.

Randy, I need to remember that you do alot of that tonque-in-cheek stuff. I also realize that you don't know me from Adam and I imagine there probably are some people you have had contact with that do try to reuse them. You by chance did'nt know my Dad did you? When I was younger we use to go out and set up the trap thrower and my Dad and two bros and I use to burn up about 500 rounds. Well he was economical (cheap) and when we got done we would pick-up and stack unbroken birds and then we would pick-up all the wads. We would reload the used wads till they fell apart. This was the same guy that had me pulling and straightening nails for reuse. I never got to use a new nail till I was 13.
Any way I don't reuse them just force of habit I guess to pick them up. When I get past this season I think I will try some v-120 with those bullets. I might try and post some pictures later and see if anybody can tell me what they are. They appear older as they are tarnished.

Latest posts

Back