45cal TC and barns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayles

Reaction score
A while back I purchased a ss .45 cal barrel for my encore . I finally got out to shoot it today and was shocked at the amount of pressure it took to load it and on a clean barrel with the barns 195 grain and the tan mmp sabot. I shot it once and changed over to TC shockwaves . They loaded with reasonable pressure . I then tried some 195 /.357 Dead Centers and they loaded really tough also. Does anyone have some trick they use for these hard loaders? I have also had trouble loading the .50 cal barns in the 50 cal barrel but not quit as tough. I went over to the mmp site and it did not look they made any thing except the tan for a .40 cal bullets. Maby I will pollish the bore with JB.
Wayles

The easiest loading bullet I found for my 45 cal Encore was the Powerbelt. You could start them with your thumb. Although I am not a big Powerbelt fan, the 275 grain bullet with 90 grains loose 777 was definitely an accurate shooter for me. As far as sabots went, everything was a chore to load . Somebody has or will come out with a super glide type sabot for the 45 no doubt. But it won't be TC as they have discontinued the 45 cal muzzleloaders from their lineup.

My 209x45 Encore is about 5 years old and it loves 200gr. shockwaves with 100gr. fffg 777 . It will take a little while for the barrel to break in , about 100 rounds if you want to you can try some bore shine on it . After I did that almost all the sabots loaded muck easier . Cabela's sells a light blue sabot for the 45 cal rifles and they do load real easy in my Encore , in fact I used them in mine for about a year .
Charlie

Wayles,while i do not own a 45 cal ML,i do know from what you say about the Barnes Bullets being hard to load.I have a 50 cal Knight Magnum Disc Rifle.When i first started shooting the Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ,it took me about 15 Min to shove the bullet down the Bore.While i have had a Stroke on my Left Side made it take a tad bit longer.But even with my bad left arm.It sholud not be so hard.Barnes Best wise up and make a Sabot that is easyer to load than these Yellow Sabots are.Now Knight has the EZ load Blue sabot that is made via Barnes and these are easy to load.They are infact the very same bullet,but with the EZ load Sabot.You might want to check Knight's Site out to see if they have the EZ Load Sabot in the 45 cal.I would how ever wait before i started Pollishing the inside of the bore.While a Smooth Slick bore holds less Fouling and makes it easyer to load.It does remove metal and dull's the Rifling Edge's
wayles said:
A while back I purchased a ss .45 cal barrel for my encore . I finally got out to shoot it today and was shocked at the amount of pressure it took to load it and on a clean barrel with the barns 195 grain and the tan mmp sabot. I shot it once and changed over to TC shockwaves . They loaded with reasonable pressure . I then tried some 195 /.357 Dead Centers and they loaded really tough also. Does anyone have some trick they use for these hard loaders? I have also had trouble loading the .50 cal barns in the 50 cal barrel but not quit as tough. I went over to the mmp site and it did not look they made any thing except the tan for a .40 cal bullets. Maby I will pollish the bore with JB.
Wayles

Wayles

I have 2 .45cal Disc Extremes and the sabot / Bullite combo that I have found that works very nicelly is a Harvester Lt. Blue Crush Rib Sabot and a Hornady .40 10mm 200gr XTP with 80 - 85gr of powder it shoots very Accurrate and reqires minamall preshure to load.

TC's .45 cal rifles seem to have a bore on the smaller end of the tolerance. Hornady SST's and Barnes can be hard to load after a shot or two. Oddly enough, using American Pioneer powder with these tight loading combinations can help. AP powder seems to work better with tightly fitting sabots than it does with easier loading combinations. AP residue is more slippery and helps loading subsequent shots. Go figure.

I had some more thoughts but I think I know the answer. Are the TC sabots and the hornady sabots made to the same specs . I would Imagine they are but I got to thinkin the .50 cal stuff is different , mabe the .40 cal is too. I did go to the MMP web site and for .40 cal bullets only one is offered. The knight site offered no help . Any one know the answers for sure? I do have a TC .45cal maxie ball mold , How fast can you push lead before it deforms or strips in the rifleings. Any one one tried conicals in thier 45 , particularly the TC maxie ball?
I'm done ramblin
Thanks in advance
Wayles

Instead of swapping sabots from one brand to another, why not just buy some Harvester Crush Rib sabots or some MMP EZ load sabots ??? Sabots must be of the proper size for both the projectile diameter and also the bore diameter. In other words you might need a sabot for a .452" projectile for a .50 caliber bore. It's not really rocket science, just buy a different sabot for the projectile that you prefer. I shoot a Knight Extreme and have pretty good luck with the harvester crush ribs. The Knight (Barnes) yellow sabots are stiff to load, but they do go down the bore. TCs are known to have really tight bores. Perhaps TC makes the sabots for their shockwaves to a proper diameter for these tight bores.

Hi
I would buy some sabots of the correct size if they were available . When your talking .45 cal the choices shrink due to the limited number of .45 cal MZ being sold . MMP is concentrating on the .50 cal that you can find lots of choices for . They sell two sizes of sabot for the .45cal the one for the TC .45cal shockwave and the ,45cal for the .357 cal bullets and thats it If you can tell me where to buy some crush ribs for .45cal sabot/.40 bullet , please do.
Wayles

I have just "Bore-Coated" a T/C pro hunter barrel this morning and waiting for it to cure. This barrel is tight and my hunting partner 'BROKE" the folding- T on his PRO HUNTER ramrod. Now this is tight.

Since we have a warming trend, the barrel will see the rifle range to cure the bore coat this Thursday.

I expect the bullets to seat with just minimal pressure and the crud ring to dissappear.

Stay tuned.

Chocdog

Choc dog
I hope it works for you . Is this stuff permanent ? or can it be removed ?
I look forward to hearing about your results.
Wayles

lungbuster .....where do you get the crush rib .45 cal sabots
wayles

those that cabelas sells are not the "crush rib" .45's, but i am curious as to whether the regular blue (.45) harvester sabots are easier to load than the tan MMP sabots. i may have mentioned on here already that i managed to destroy a knight ramrod trying to load those tan mmp sabots in my .45 cal disc elite, but the harvester crush ribs load w/ minimal effort.

The tan .45 sabots are the thickest and load hard. I use the blue harvestor sabots in my .45 pac nor barreled savage and my 45 SMi barrel. They load tight but right. You can use a lubed wonder wad between the saboted bullet and the powder and this will help. Also you can put some J&B on a tight fitting patch and give the bore about 200 strokes and this will help too.

Latest posts

Back