45cal TC and barns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schoolmaster
Thanks for the input, You sound like a real shooter whos been around the .45's for a while. I have some blues coming from midsouth but they were out of the crush ribs. Tell me about the bullets and loads you are useing with success if you have time. Do you know of something that can be used for a subase to protect the sabot from the hotter loads. MMP does not make one for the .45. I am going to try some graphite on the tan sabots after I JB the bore . I have lubed tight fitting cheap bullet/sabots in the past with bore butter and it did help them go down better but I worry about consistancy of application.
Thanks
Wayne

Did a little work on the barrel . 200 strokes with jb bore paste . Dead centers, Knight and shockwaves shove down the barrel and all feel about right for pressure. Its amazing what a little polish does. It will be interesting to see if that stays true when I go to shooting. I clean with 2 alcohol and 2 dry patches between shots so the barrel is not spick and span, but fairly clean . Who knows Mabe will have to clean more between shots. The sabots sure feel good now. Did a little measuring and discovered some small differences in sabots and bullets. The pettles on the Knight Sabots measure about .0005 less than the tc shockwaves and the barns bullets measure .001 less than the tc shockwaves ,.039 compared to .040 on the shockwaves. Previously when on the range the barns and knight combo was the hardest to shove down the barrel. Go Figure! I suspect the formulation is different on the two sabots . The knights are marked with a "k" in the bottom of the sabot. Color is a shade different also . We will see what happens
Wayles

You can take those hard to load tan sabots and cut the petals off them with fingernail clippers and load the base under your bullet/sabot combo. Both of my 45 rifles are smokeless and I shoot the 195 Barnes MZ at about 2600 f/s. I shot a nice doe at 200 yards with this bullet and it hit the near shoulder going in and smashed the large leg bone where it joins the shoulder going out made about a quarter sized hole going out. It broke bone on both sides. Barnes has made a believer out of me.

Latest posts

Back