4f powder for priming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPeanut

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a .50 cal Traditions flintlock that I am getting ready. I have a percussion cap rifle, but have never used a flintlock.

I use Pyrodex RS in the barrel already and would prefer to stick to one powder type.

Question about 4f powder for the flintlock pan.

I have been told a couple of different things about primer powder.

1. I've been told use 4f black powder, which seems to be a painn in the tail end to get around here.

2. I have also been told that Pyrodex P is OK, and even crushing Pyrodex P in a morter & pestle is OK.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You don't need FFFFg in the pan. FFFg will work just fine - even FFg will work OK. You will likely get inconsistent results with Pyrodex for the main charge. One fix is to drop five or ten grains of black powder down first, then load the Pyrodex on top of the black. But it's a lot less hassle going with black all the way.

I would just use FFF Real Black for both, pan and down the bore, unless it's the more potent Olde Enysford or Swiss, then I would use FF down the bore.

I shoot a lot of flintlocks. Forget the Pyrodex. It just will give you headaches. Flintlocks = black powder. As for 4f in the pan, you're not going to carry a huge amount of it with you on the range or in the hunt. Just a small pan flask will give you 30 plus shots. It dispenses 3 grains of powder, sometimes more, in the pan. Then that goes in your pocket or possible bag. I like to use 2f powder for the main charge but 3f works great, in the main charge and the pan. In fact some claim the 3f in the pan has more water resistant properties then the 3f so they use it hunting.

If you can't find 4f (one pound is years of shooting) then use 3f. It will do just fine. I even shot 2f to see it it would work and I could shoot the rifle upside down with 2f. So pan powder is a personal choice I think.

IMO, FFFg or FFFFg in the pan. I've been shooting flintlocks for 4o years and run nothing but black powder in pan or barrel. I'm not adverse to the substitutes. I use BH209 and Triple Seven in my inlines. Pyrodex is way more trouble than its worth in a flinter.

Thanks for all the advice.

Looks like I'll have to find some black powder.

Thanks for the links.

The problem here is just finding actual black powder at all.

Latest posts

Back