5 relays at 1,000yds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
The Camp Atterbury match is next weekend, the 9th and 10th. We'll be shooting 5 relays, all at 1,000yds. From what I gather, there are a couple new shooters that may attend. Good news!

Will be heading to Friendship to shoot the Inline Hunter match in the Nationals after Atterbury on Sunday. Hoping for good weather and a little less wind than was in June. Staying a couple extra days to watch more of the different styles of shooting. If you like shooting muzzleloaders, there's nothing like Friendship.

The Camp Atterbury match is next weekend, the 9th and 10th. We'll be shooting 5 relays, all at 1,000yds. From what I gather, there are a couple new shooters that may attend. Good news!

Will be heading to Friendship to shoot the Inline Hunter match in the Nationals after Atterbury on Sunday. Hoping for good weather and a little less wind than was in June. Staying a couple extra days to watch more of the different styles of shooting. If you like shooting muzzleloaders, there's nothing like Friendship.
Good luck to you, 45-70, Jeff etc. May the winds be light! Expect a full report. X

Good luck to you, 45-70, Jeff etc. May the winds be light! Expect a full report. X
Thanks.
Made it down safely, but darn I hate going around Indy. I don't think 45-70 will be shooting this time either. I would imagine that the Nationals keeps his hands full.
Doug S. and Scott R. I believe will be joining us tomorrow (Sat.).

1694220969304.png

Well, that weather report was totally worthless about the wind. OMG did the wind get us today, but still there was some good shooting. Flags straight, wind was probably 15mph with some heavy gusts. Following from the left. I needed 8moa (80") left, and 62moa elevation.

I had a problem with the wind in scoring. I (we) know the reason, which is the 350gr bullet. With the much lighter winds in the past matches, the 350's remained fairly stabilized after they went sub-sonic at 800yds. However, with the wind like it was, they lost stability with my 1:19 twist. We believe it would be best to drop back to a 325gr bullet.

The 40cal rifles are leading when we finished this afternoon. Tomorrow things will get pretty serious between a couple shooters ;)

Current scores:

Jeff 260 40cal
Doug 260 40cal
George 224 45cal
Chris 143 45cal
Scott 94 45cal

It is believed that Scott's scope broke. He shot a 10, then an "X", then couldn't put them on the target. He has a backup scope, which I believe he and Doug might replace tonight. That or he could use a different rifle. Very frustrating for him.

Oh.............. those that have known me for a long time, know that I provide the good with the bad, or not so good.
Well............................... I got my very first Tasco Tattoo today. Yup, the blood was running down my nose on to the mat and I just kept loading and shooting.

Mnt monkey................... Here's the first sign with heavier bullets at LONG range from a 1:19. Its good until they go sub-sonic at 800yds in windy conditions.
Sent 48 rounds yesterday. Hope like heck the wind isn't as bad today.

Good luck, I'm just curious if the one in 18 or even a 17.5 would be better, it does sound like that 325 would be a better option. I realize that you're limited with your powder charge, I know that if that wasn't the case you could push that 350 a little faster, still there's nothing wrong with limits and having to operate under them,, look forward to your results.

WITHOUT QUESTION, A FASTER TWIST IS NECESSARY FOR 1,000yds WITH HEAVY BULLETS IF THERE'S ANY WIND.

AGAIN.............. the weather report for wind was WRONG. The wind beat the living crap out of all of us. I think we learned more today also.

I ended up placing 3rd behind Jeff and Doug. Those two are phenomenal shooters. But I will say that those 40's are affected by strong winds just like the 45's.

Doug took 1st place by only 2pts.

Here's the final scores.............

1694377554009.png

I find this interesting. Looking forward to the post shoot discussion.

Mnt monkey................... Here's the first sign with heavier bullets at LONG range from a 1:19. Its good until they go sub-sonic at 800yds in windy conditions.
Sent 48 rounds yesterday. Hope like heck the wind isn't as bad today.
Encore.....I'm not quite sure I understand why you say that your 350 gr. bullets remained stabilized after 800 yards in light wind but weren't stabilized after 800 yards in heavy wind. Were the bullet holes in the target oval or round? When we saw oval bullet holes at 1000 yds. or less, it was a dead giveaway that the bullet wasn't stabile windy or not. Black powder ctg. rifles, either .40 or .45, go subsonic at approx. 200 yards and yet the bullets normally punch round holes and are stabile at 300, 500, 8-9 and 1000 yds. Your bullets were being deflected the most by the wind in the last 200 yards on the way to the target. Remember physics........"it is easier to accelerate an object that is already in motion". Don't over think things............it was the wind. Respectfully.....X

I understand what you're saying but........ Its all related to the twist of my barrel. Jeff, Doug, Scott and I discussed it in length. If I were to do this for years to come, I guarantee you I would have at least a 1:18 twist barrel. But yes, it was the wind, the twist and the heavy bullet in combination. Just to many contributing factors to continue with heavy bullets. We are leaning a lot about BH and long range shooting, not just about the wind.

It was calm in the morning and I shot the silhouettes today at Friendship. 500yds, 400m, 300m and 200m. Cleaned them.

I was going to shoot the paper 200yd, 100yd and 50yd targets, but guess what? Wind came up. It was suggested that I wait until morning and hopefully be calm. You have to remember exactly who I'm shooting with ;) Those guys have multiple championships.

On a side note.......... I had the chance to shoot one of the new 50cal CVA Crossfire rifles that Barry had. I'll be quite honest.... it changed my whole line of thinking about the rifles.

I understand what you're saying but........ Its all related to the twist of my barrel. Jeff, Doug, Scott and I discussed it in length. If I were to do this for years to come, I guarantee you I would have at least a 1:18 twist barrel. But yes, it was the wind, the twist and the heavy bullet in combination. Just to many contributing factors to continue with heavy bullets. We are leaning a lot about BH and long range shooting, not just about the wind.

It was calm in the morning and I shot the silhouettes today at Friendship. 500yds, 400m, 300m and 200m. Cleaned them.

I was going to shoot the paper 200yd, 100yd and 50yd targets, but guess what? Wind came up. It was suggested that I wait until morning and hopefully be calm. You have to remember exactly who I'm shooting with ;) Those guys have multiple championships.

On a side note.......... I had the chance to shoot one of the new 50cal CVA Crossfire rifles that Barry had. I'll be quite honest.... it changed my whole line of thinking about the rifles.
I would have thought that your 1:19 twist would be quite sufficient to stabilize a 350 gr. bullet at 1000 yds. especially at the velocity you shoot them at. I wonder if you will get any different results using a 325 gr. bullet? You will get a slightly higher MV but won't a lighter bullet slow down quicker and be affected by the wind a little more especially at distance? It will be fun finding out anyway, right? X

According to everyone the 325gr will stabilize better at long range with my twist. Chris shot better after he stopped using the 350gr Pittman and started using 300grs. In the same wind.

I'm through shooting at Friendship and back at the motel, and pretty frustrated off at the moment. Spent a ship house full of money coming down to shoot, only to have my mount loosen up. It was loc-tited on with enough loc-tite and with over 24hrs drying time, it shouldn't have come loose. I had to wipe the inside of the action of it. Yet it loosened.

The mount is an EGW and after walking down to the chunk gun line and talking with Jeff, he asked if I was using the screws supplied by EGW. Yup. "There's part of the problem". He said that for what ever reason, likely pist poor steel, EGW screws stretch. He said that when I remove them, THROW THEM OUT.
I asked about the BEST mount with a recoil lug, that is short of pinning, and he suggested FG-Force Remington 700 Short Action

Things happen, I understand that but it's frustrating as all get out. It's time to fix the problem. I'll be ordering that pic rail when I get home. I may even JB Weld the damn thing to the action.

What a bummer! If you JB Weld it on, I believe that you can take the part off in the future with CAREFUL application of heat from a hair dryer or propane torch. I'd do whatever I had to to prevent that part from loostening up again. Have you thought about sending your rifle to Jeff for installation of a new 1:18 twist barrel or will you switch to the 325's with the rifle you have? X

X..........

I'm going to remain with the current barrel and try the 325's. If I were younger, and had years yet to compete, I'd ask him to build me a 40cal for that 1,000yd shooting. There is a limit to my spending..........
I went back to the motel and got a good 3hr nap, and waited until all the work folks were home eating supper and left for home. Glad I did it that way. OMG the construction on I-75 was crazy. However I was able to zip right through all of it. After 8hrs of hard driving, I made it home at 2:45am this morning.
I just removed the scope and sure enough, the front screws, although COVERED with Loctite, were not torqued. They're in the garbage! I'm going to special order the mount Jeff recommended above in 40moa. That mount will take up all the recoil from the mount screws. That Atacr is a heavy scope at 2.5#.

X..........

I'm going to remain with the current barrel and try the 325's. If I were younger, and had years yet to compete, I'd ask him to build me a 40cal for that 1,000yd shooting. There is a limit to my spending..........
I went back to the motel and got a good 3hr nap, and waited until all the work folks were home eating supper and left for home. Glad I did it that way. OMG the construction on I-75 was crazy. However I was able to zip right through all of it. After 8hrs of hard driving, I made it home at 2:45am this morning.
I just removed the scope and sure enough, the front screws, although COVERED with Loctite, were not torqued. They're in the garbage! I'm going to special order the mount Jeff recommended above in 40moa. That mount will take up all the recoil from the mount screws. That Atacr is a heavy scope at 2.5#.
Encore, Have you run those 325 gr bullets through your ballistic calculator yet? I have a hunch that they will go sub-sonic at about the same distance that the 350's do. Hope I'm wrong.
P.S. Man! That is a HEAVY scope you have!! X

Encore, Have you run those 325 gr bullets through your ballistic calculator yet? I have a hunch that they will go sub-sonic at about the same distance that the 350's do. Hope I'm wrong.
P.S. Man! That is a HEAVY scope you have!! X
You are correct. They would go sub-sonic at about the same distance.

Yes, its heavy, but bullet proof.

I was wondering how much propellant I burned up.......... 12,635grs of BH between Atterbury and Friendship.

Still waiting for the new rail, and probably have another 1.5wks to wait. It'll be worth it.

Latest posts

Back