50 cal 270 Gr PB Platinum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabowhntr

Reaction score
Well, I have been a fan of the powerbelts in the 348 gr + variety in my traditional rifles, but not in my inlines. I like how they shoot and are available everywhere, but not their price! Last year I bought 75 of the 270 gr platinums at work for just a couple of dollars and figured I would give them to a guy I know who has liked to shoot the 245 gr aerotips, which he has had less than perfect results on deer with. I figured the 270 gr would be tougher and it would be a good gift for someone who lets me hunt on his place, and go well with the CVA Optima I got him the year before. He didn't get the accuracy with the 270 gr (2" at 100) vs the 245 (just over an inch), but that was good enough for the woods we hunt and the proof was in the results yesterday. At about 8 am, he shot a buck (11 point 16 inch wide) broadside about 1/2 of the way up the body right behind the shoulder. Ribs were hit in and out, the lungs were demolished and the bullet exited. We didn't check the bloodtrail as the buck ran right at me and died in sight of my stand (it only went about 60-70 yards), but it should have been great based on entry/exit holes and the amount of blood at the recovery point. The bullet worked just as it should. The load was 90 gr of t7 2f under the 270 gr PBPlat in a CVA Optima, the shot distance was 40-50 yards.

Awesome. We saw the pic of the 300gr platinum with a shoulder shot and while the bullet was chewed up, if it would have been in the lungs, it more than likely would have had the same results as your friends.

Next year i'll hopefully be able to get my brother in law set up with his first muzzle loader and be able to have the 2 of us trying 2 different loads to test out.

Back