.50 Cal Pedersoli Hawken Hunter 1:24 twist vs Rice barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand corrected. I guess I should have consulted an expert. The hardware store, (where I get my de-natured alcohol), the customer service guy said that "De-natured" meant there was "no water". So I guess I can go to a pharmacy and just get Isopropyl alcohol. I'll look for the highest percentage of alcohol content. Should be cheaper than at the hardware store. Thanks for the info.
that higher strength is not stocked often, i'm sure the pharmacist would order what you need though, ( i know i would) ... the red bottle heet is a high percentage isopropyl product, & probably cheaper., the yellow is methanol (i just got some by mistake).. i read they quit using methanol as camp stove fuel because it corroded lines. (don't know about ML barrels) . so i ordered one of the "red bottle" heet's. it is one that i'm going to try

Sounds worth tryin but with my luck that is gonna require a patch removal / retrieval tool and some wasted time but I still have time (I hope)/E#d
i run a small caliber brush down mine to retrieve patches.. a 22 cal bronze brush has pulled out every patch i ever dropped/lost in my barrels

I in no way am being sarcastic or rude but if you look after the barrel properly you won't have misfires. I have 3 pedersoli's, 2 of which have the patent breech you mentioned, I've had one misfire and it was 100% on me.

Make sure you clean it well, and then before use run a dry patch down to get out some of the oil, squirt some isopropyl alcohol in the flash hole bore facing down and then run another dry patch which will pull alcohol through to remove the remainder of the oil. Shouldn't have an issue.
Edit: forgot to mention popping a cap after running your patch can also work.

You can run a 243 or similar brush down into the patent breech to loose the fouling but if you just draw up water and force it out hard through the breech end it does a good enough job.

I wouldn't have taken my hawken hunting dangerous game earlier this year if I had any doubt about it firing when needed. Didn't skip a beat.

I had actually ordered a hunter but changed my order to a Missouri River. Glad I did but I'm confident the hunter would have been a great gun too.
What caliber did you use on your dangerous game hunt?? (what animal)... The only cape buffalo i've seen drop at the shot were with a big caliber muzzleloader!! don't know the bullet, but saw 2 of em drop in their tracks!! the only other thing close was 500 gibbs (i think,,i know it was a big caliber gibbs round)..

50 Cal Pedersoli Hawken Hunter 1:24 twist
The Pedersoli Hawken Hunter has a barrel which Pedersoli did not intend to be removed very often. The OEM rear sight has to be removed and the Tang/Breech plug is removed as one single unit. There is no hooked breech on this model. Therefore, recommended cleaning is with the stock on.
This rifle wasn't designed to have a spare barrel, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Just understand, you have to unscrew the tang from the wood stock every time you change barrels.

The last time I cleaned my Hawken Hunter was a few months ago. I don't remember a Patent Breech being present. If there is, take a .22 to .223 caliber bore brush and see if it runs down the bore beyond the length of a jag with a cleaning patch. It is possible to clean a Patent Breech plug with a .22 bore brush and cleaning patch. You'll have to play with it.

I wasn't thrilled with the design of this rifle. The Hawken Hunter is Pedersoli's low cost, no frills, rifle and that is what you have.

I am sure you can modify the stock and barrel for a permanent tang with a hooked breech, which would allow for quick barrel changes. You'll probably need a gunsmith to do it.

What caliber did you use on your dangerous game hunt?? (what animal)... The only cape buffalo i've seen drop at the shot were with a big caliber muzzleloader!! don't know the bullet, but saw 2 of em drop in their tracks!! the only other thing close was 500 gibbs (i think,,i know it was a big caliber gibbs round)..
I know Roger Raglin dropped a cape buffalo with his I believe 50 cal White ML. I think he was shooting a 600gr conical. If my memory is correct, I think the buffalo dropped a few feet from the cameraman as he was filming it.

I know Roger Raglin dropped a cape buffalo with his I believe 50 cal White ML. I think he was shooting a 600gr conical. If my memory is correct, I think the buffalo dropped a few feet from the cameraman as he was filming it.
i hated to say the guys name,, but it is "shockey" & they dropped impressively! ,, i think it was 54 cal,,r , but it could be 50? (long time ago

Back