Change to smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I already have a 700ML stainless but just picked up a nice clean blued one. Which ever one is the worse shooter of BH209 or T7 may get the nod for conversion to smokeless. PA requires a .44 cal or larger so I'm thinking .45 cal with 1:18 twist. I was looking at McGowan barrels and they do have custom barrels as a decent price (at least a price in my budget) but I'm confused on the contour and what to do about the breech area. Also I would definitely consider getting the muzzle threaded and a protective cap for future brake. I want to see what the recoil is like pushing a 275 gr bullet at over 2500 fps before getting a brake. going with 5/8"-24 tpi.
Now will a 209 ignition system be okay or do I need a lg rifle primer system and if so, what one?

Last edited:
I shot some 270’s at 2535fps out of my Patriot which is a much lighter rifle than your 700 is going to be. I hate muzzle brakes, but I don’t like heavy recoil either. I was pleasantly surprised that recoil wasn’t bad at all. Far better than the same bullet with a 110 gr. Volume load of Blackhorn 209.

If you don't mind the weight, I would go with a heavier contour, mine are modified sendero contours on my two RemBrux 700ML conversions. They weigh around 11.5 lbs with stock and scope, no brake yet but I did buy a brake to put on one.

All 3 of my 700ML conversions use an ASG 209 primer breech plug with .030 bushings. That's what was available at the time but If I did another one, I would use an ASG LRMP breech plug with the brass modules. You probably won't gain any more velocity with the LRMP plug but it may seal better, I'm not positive on that because my only experience with the brass modules is with my 2 break action conversions, those seal great with no blowback.

Definitely get it threaded for a brake, otherwise you will be kicking yourself down the road.

If you get a Boyd's stock, I would get the pro varmint, it soaks up recoil well, better than the thumbhole.

By ASG I assume you mean Arrowhead large rifle magnum primer?! LR primers are hard to come by but I do have a pile of large pistol mag primers which should work. Same size just thinner/softer cup.

Some where I keep reading one of the builders saying that smokeless muzzleloaders also make the best blackhorn 209 guns as well. When I was trying to build my 700ml I ran into the same question about the two bolt noses one is noticeably longer than the other one.

I have now sent 2 700mls off to McGowen to have them rebarreled, I had one threaded for the option or adding a break later. I'm shooting mild loads in that rifle with a 250gr bullet recoil is noticeable but not painful on the bench. Both of my guns use the ASG 209 plugs, If I had it to do over again I would have used Mark's adjustable 209 plug on at least one of the rifles.

the breech plugs are different, the smoker (original ) is shorter . the smokeless is longer and better suited for smokeless pressures. Albeit both utilize 209 primers

I just sent an email to Tom at badger ridge to see if my BP is ok or if I need a different one.
I'm also thinking of maybe converting a .45-70 Encore barrel to a SML. I'd just need some machining and a BP + moduels.

Back