50 Caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl52

Reaction score
I recently joined a muzzleloader club and the guy that is president of the club I use to shoot with in the past. Hes been a muzzleloader person most of his life while I have drifted back and forth with center fire and BPCR. We were talking while having a beer after a board meeting catching on on what guns he is shooting and what guns I currently had. In the conversation out came the subject of 50 caliber. He says he doesnt like it. Its to big to target shoot with and to small to hunt with. I have my thoughts and I know theres target shooters and hunters here what do you guys think of 50 caliber? Al

To small to hunt with? What in the world is he hunting with? lol.

When dealing with smaller calibers, limiting your range is crucial, but that can be with any modern gun or muzzle loader.

I prefer my bigger 54+ calibers due to the range I know I may have to shoot. I didn't feel under gunned when I went hunting with Falcon for hogs and we all know how that turned out.

My first flinter buck was at 40 yards and he dropped on the spot. Actually, more like, rolled OVER on the spot! It was a head shot as that what was all I could see.

Small? Seriously? How big does your friend need? 
May I recommend a grenade?

I know some prefer the .54, but honestly? 
I can take down anything short of an elk with 
a .50. 

Elk are doable for some with a .50.
The .50 is a very versatile round ball. 

As for accuracy, I am convinced my .50s are 
more accurate than I am.

However, a target shooting friend recently did 
recommend a .40 for the state shoot.

PS. A .69 calibre is like throwing an ounce of lead 
at an animal. Hold that ball in your hand. It is over kill.

Jon he hunts with a 69cal Jaeger flintlock. I thought about this a while before I posted the question. I wanting to see where my thoughts compare with you guys. 50 caliber is legal to hunt with in Colorado as  I know you know. My thoughts about his statement of to small to hunt with kind goes along with the comments about a 30-30 not being a good hunting rifle. 30-30 has killled alot of game. Its no 30-06 308 or 7mm mag but if you make your shot it will do the job. 50 caliber with a maxi ball will do the job. I like you prefer 54 or 58 but Im still pondering the 50 cal comment he made. Al

When I 'bore' a big Kansas whitetail this coming Fall with my .50 and a PRB....I'll be sure to sit down with him and inquire whether or not in his opinion it did a good enough job!! :Questuon: :affraid:

In the conversation out came the subject of 50 caliber. He says he doesnt like it.
IMO: The .50 and patched round ball is great on deer and hogs. A .54 or .58 caliber is probably better on big hogs and elk.

i kill a lot of wild hogs, mostly at ranges of <60 yards. Honestly, i see very little difference in the effectiveness of a 180 grain bullet from a .300 Win Mag or a .50 caliber round ball when each is put in the right place. The end result is what matters; the animal quickly expires.

I sold a .50 flint last year because I built a .54 flint and I have a.40 flint I just did not use the .50 anymore.  Built the .54 because I'd had barrel for about 20 years and dream of a bison hunt.   I have hunted elk w .50 (no shots) and won state championship matches w .50. If I had to have only one flinter it would be a .50. 
TC

I have 3 .50 rifles and 3 .45s. I have killed over a dozen deer with the .50 calibers but none with the .45s due to lack of opportunity and a klatch at a 7-pointer.

But I did kill one with a .45 Old Army revolver when I had a bullet failure with the rifle. One hand cast 255 gr. with 30 grs. of 3F did the trick just fine. Double lung and a 50-yard blood trail.

I have a .54 and a .58 but have shot my .45 and .50s almost exclusively.
I find no obvious difference in accuracy between the .45 and .50. I can shoot either caliber just as poorly. :lol:
There are differences in capability of the individual rifles, but that isn't from the caliber differences.
Ron

Before the era of cartridge rifles....I wonder what some folks think that the pioneers and plainsmen used prior to those being available!

"Muzzleloaders...in various calibers...made the West safe for Sharps!!"

Most of my smokepoles (percussion, flinters, and unmentionables) are 50's.  I do confess to having one 45 and one 54.  I bought the 54 years ago, and a 50, a little bit later.  After shooting the 50, I was hooked. I never even got around to using the 54.  It's still in the box. I do use the 45 once in a while, but all my hunting is with the 50.

IMO although the .50 is very capable as a hunting caliber with either PRb or conicals I must confess that I have began migrating toward larger calibers. I like the .54 and I'm growing especially fond of my .58.

I have a .45, .50, and a .54.  I like them all.  Deer size game will fall with a well placed shot of patched round ball in either of the calibers.  If your on the fence about projectile weight go with a quality lead conical. My .45 shoots my 195 grain conicals with great accuracy...I have shot my .50 with 385 grain Great Plains Conicals, and have shot my .54 with 425 grain Great Plains Conicals.  I bought the .54 conicals just to see how they shot out of my Lyman Great Plains....I will likely never use them in a real Eastern Whitetail hunt....425 grains....seriously...425 grains....too much in my opinion, and kinda expensive.

Matt

If I had to guess I would think there are many more .50 cal rifles out there than any other caliber.  However, in Jon's response he touched on a very good point.... "limiting your range".  What range are you proficient at and stay within that range. It's not necessarily how large the projectile is but how accurate.

Well all are great points...Knowing your weapon....Limiting your range and above all accuracy....I have and hunted with 40 cal to 62 prb...But I do have a 62 English capper that shoots a 900 grain bullet that is just devastating...Although my favorite is a 40 cal English and I have taken many hogs and deer with it and most shots have been under 60 yards and usually head or neck, if I can't get my shot I let it walk there is always another day...The 50 cal is a very good weapon...

Thanks
Hilljack

Ok I shot this Buck at 250 yards with 50Cal. I admit I aimed foot and half over his shoulders.

000_1960bbd.jpg

oneshot

:No: :No:

Never had a problem taking deer or hogs with my 50 or my 58. IF I was hunting for elk I would use my .54 and for bear or moose I would use my .58 cal. Just my opinion. I feel a well placed shot in the vitals and you'll have meat for the freezer. I think the bigger bore's for the bigger animals with add to a faster demise.

Ray............ :thumbs up:

Back