50 Caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's different types of hunters. In the beginning most are happy to get a shot.  The we movr on to filling at tag...or the meat hunter stage. At some point there is the method stage........I.e. scoped center fire or muzzleloder......inline v. Side lock......percussion v flintlock. ......rifle v smoothbore....each has it's own challenges, but the hunter decides what level of challenge he wants. An interesting point is that the more difficult the challenge, the further back in history we find our experience . My neighbor has gone to long range hunting, taking 600yd-1,000yd shots....his methodology!  At my age, having shot muzzloders since the early 70s, I have set the challenged myself to fill as many tags as possible with my smoothbore flinter.........if  I fail to fill a tag....I'm okay. Also I'm a trophy hunter....so the challenge greater., but experience is become everything.  My first deer was with a .50 cal. cap gun....first bear and elk with a .58 flinter. I hope to finish the race with my. 62 smooth rifle. :D

lighthorseman said:
There's different types of hunters. In the beginning most are happy to get a shot.  
I've been hunting since ~1953 and I'm still happy just to get a shot.

Last year I got two shots.

:lol: Last year I never pulled the trigger...but saw lots of deer! Elk are back. So who knows what this year will bring!l

Last year I never pulled a trigger and saw NO deer.  Of course I was able to get only twice.  Hope to do more this year.

All my smoke poles are .50's and I love them, I target shoot with em, compete at rondy's with the, and I can knock a gallon can  fence post easily at 150 yards. I've never killed anything yet over fifty yards off. I wouldn't hesitate to kill an elk with my .50's, I just open the door and shoot them in my yard at 15 yards. I love my .50's.

Back