.54 Cal Patched Roundball Accuracy Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I accuracy tested some Patched Roundball this morning in my Old STOCK 1:48 Twist .54 Cal TC Renegade, She did awesome :lewis:

The Video

My same 60 Yard Spot
bDNmG8O.jpg

First 3 Shot Group, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, .530 Balls i cast from one of my Old RCBS Molds, My Home Cut .020 Pocket Drill Patches, And an Over Powder Patch
tdXljoi.jpg

My last 3 Shot Group, This was a NO GO :) Same 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, Same .530 Balls, This time i used STORE BOUGHT .015 Ox-Yoke Patches, They were nice to Load, But accuracy was no good. It is amazing how much difference there is in accuracy here, Little things can mean a LOT
eVWfcwD.jpg

Did the store-bought patches actually measure out to 0.015" thick? I've found that there can be a dramatic difference between what is written on the label, and what the patches really measure.

I figured this out not long before I was forced to sell off all of my weapons, including the muzzleloaders, back in the 90's.

Someone gave me some manufactured cut patches, and when they shot terribly, compared to the fabric store denim material that I had been using, I eventually measured the thickness, only to find out that a package labeled 0.020" thick, was in reality, only 0.017" thick. Not acceptable.

Generally speaking, my experience has shown me that the thicker the patch is, within reason, the better my longrifles would shoot. This was with barrels that had a 1:48" twist, and grooves measuring a minimum of 0.010" deep.

The thicker patch just fills the entirety of the grooves better than a thinner patch does. Once past the crown, and down the bore about 5"-6" with a short starter, I found that even the tightest ball/patch combination was easy to push the balance of the way down onto the powder charge.

An ordinary Thompson/Center barrel has button rifling that will measure approximately 0.005" deep, and a rate of twist measuring 1:48".

Last edited by a moderator:
Great videos, Idaho Lewis! Question for you regarding the overpowder patch versus your overpowder wool felt wads. Do you only use the wool wads with bullets and use the patches with PRB? Do you ever use the wads with PRB? Thanks!

‘Poet

Great videos, Idaho Lewis! Question for you regarding the overpowder patch versus your overpowder wool felt wads. Do you only use the wool wads with bullets and use the patches with PRB? Do you ever use the wads with PRB? Thanks!

‘Poet

I use Flat Wads such as Wool Felt, Vege Fibre Etc. with Flat Base Bullets ONLY. Think about the Shape of a Ball? Now imagine a Flat Wad taking shape to the Ball upon firing. In short, A Flat Wad would not being doing much Behind a Ball. The Loose Over Powder patch on the other Hand will Form to the Ball

Back