.54 CVA Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
I have a .50 Hawken that was given to me around last Christmas. It is percussion. It took a while but I figured out what it likes and was successful hunting with it. I just found a CVA Hawken .54 caliber barrel in percussion. Same profile and underlug in same place. It should drop right in. I suppose it is 1:48 but it could be 1:60.  My .50 is a 1:60 and is not marked with the ROT. This .54 has the exact same font with no ROT markings, and the year is very close to my .50.  It should be here soon so we shall see.  I hope to shoot PRB's. 

Does anyone have experience with PRB's in the 1:48 .54 CVA (or Traditions)? I'd like a suggested load if so. If it's a 1:60 I know where I will start and how to read the results.

Thanks!

It's how deep the grooves are that's more important. The original Hawken built by the Hawken Bros was a 1-48 twist.

Good point!  I suppose I will start where I'd like to be regardless of the ROT and see how she does. Right now I am leaning towards .530/.18/80gr. That works in two of my .54's and would be very convenient if it worked in this one. If the ball is particularly loose or tight in the barrel I will vary the patch thickness. If the load still need tweaking when the patch feels right I will vary the volume of powder. Does that sound logical?

I would think it has a slow twist like 1:60. I would guess that most guys shooting a .54 want it for round balls.

I've used a 54 cal TC for years killed alot of deer using round ball if you use it for any other hunting using a round ball please make sure that you have video and 10 people to witness the kill or you will be called a liar on a serious note they will work just fine shot placement is the key enjoy you rifle and round ball

Your approach does sound logical. Before tweaking patch/ball combos do try other charges. I suggest 50/60/70 then your favorite 80. See which groups best at 50 yards from a rest. I suspect all will group well. The 50 gr. might give a vertical string. If so, that is a sign you should go a bit higher in charge..

Got a CVA 54Cal. Hawken, 1:48 Twist got it in '84, use 90Gr. Pyrodex RS, Patch and Ball. Killed one Deer running at me, Ball went in one end came out the other.

Killed many Deer with it.

oneshot

I was guessing because I don't have the barrel in my hand yet and I am preparing the components in anticipation of its arrival.  The day it arrives I am heading to the range. I will be slightly behind the curve getting this sighted in with a viable load for the upcoming hunting season.

Well this was too good to be true. The barrel arrived and is not 15/16 as advertised. It is 1” so I returned it. I can’t find a stock with 1” channel out there.

Deer Creek has them (did last year) for about $112. Came with nipple, don't remember about the underlugs. Had to swap out sights.

-Joe

The guns that are being manufactured today have improved in general, those that had issues years ago have been corrected or have disappeared. 

This is good for all of us, we get enough bad press from someone having an accident or doing something they shouldn't and being caught. The press loves to report negative things about everything (that sells newspapers), positive articles don't help their bottom line in sales. Bastards  :x

Latest posts

Back