It has been said...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That a properly set up and loaded sidelock can be just as accurate as an inline.
I have to say, I agree.
My flintlock .50 Renegade and .50 T/C Hawken percussion (both 1-48's) with the same load, will run neck and neck with my 1-38 .50 Firehawk. The Firehawk is the more accurate, that rifle is a marvel, but nothing will live on the difference. That the sidelocks can hang right in there is equally marvelous.
All 3 rifles wear bead front and aperture rear with the same diameter aperture. The sidelocks have longer barrels, but the sight radius is close enough between the three.
Now I am an unrepentant inliner. But I do own more sidelocks. Three percussion and four flintlocks. Use them all. Appreciate them all.

I know my sidelocks are very accurate guns. What sets the sidelocks apart from my in-lines is the sights. My eyes and open sights are not good company, so all of my in-lines are scoped. Since I hunt with my in-lines I have no desire to re-sight the side locks with peep sights. I have no interest in selling the sidelocks either in spite of my not shooting them much. I do take them out for grandkids to shoot once in a while but even they would rather shoot the in-lines.

No matter, I still think that both the in-lines and the sidelocks would shoot as well as the other if both had open sights.

I know my sidelocks are very accurate guns. What sets the sidelocks apart from my in-lines is the sights. My eyes and open sights are not good company, so all of my in-lines are scoped. Since I hunt with my in-lines I have no desire to re-sight the side locks with peep sights. I have no interest in selling the sidelocks either in spite of my not shooting them much. I do take them out for grandkids to shoot once in a while but even they would rather shoot the in-lines.

No matter, I still think that both the in-lines and the sidelocks would shoot as well as the other if both had open sights.

I am right there with you Tom. I have only hunted with inlins for awhile but just can't part with my TC Renegade and Hawkin. I just like the feel of them on my shoulder.

My Hawken and Renegade percussions are for times when I feel like something... different. My Firehawk is a couple pounds lighter than the Hawken or Renegade.
The Hawken, on her first day in the woods, took 2 deer an hour apart to the minute.
My first muzzleloader was a kit flintlock Hawken. At 16, I had no idea what I was doing so it was a poor thing indeed... Now, I have a true unicorn in my factory laminate stocked Hawken.
She is one of my " Bury it with me" rifles.

I would totally agree with that thought. My old Renegades were really a good rifles - especially after I replaced the barrel on a couple of them with a Green Mountain 1/28 twist 50 cal. stainless barrel.

View attachment 32691
I thought about putting a new barrel on my Hawkin rifle. 1/28 would be great. What would something like that cost?

You know I am not sure that Green Mountain offers it longer. Might do a for a Green Mountain 50cal LRH barrel.

If I had my druthers, every .50 I have would be a 1-38. Will handle saboted .45s up to 300 grains and what it does with a 400 grain Lyman Plains has to be seen to be believed.
I'm seriously considering having one of my flintlock Pennsylvania Hunters sleeved to that twist...

I feel like a Duck on a mud flat cause the pond dried up. I don't have a clue as to what the accuracy is with my 7 ML's. I have only one sighted in at 125 yards that gives me a 2-2.5 group. This Spring i am going to make an attempt to find the best n most accurate loading combo for each one. Now in reality that may take more time than my Lord is going to let me stay here. Right now since early morning i have been pumping water from the Bunker we live in. Only about 40 gals so far, but the rain isn't going to stop til about 5 am.

Back